Us Night Hours For Canadian Night Rating

Guest JetboxJockey

I was referring to the Canadian Commercial. A private license can have a night rating, but on the commercial it is a daylight only restriction removal. No where on my TCCA Com Heli Lic does it say "Night Rating".

Not too sure what you mean by restriction removal? A Canadian PPL or CPL can have a night rating added to it.

Yes TC will take your night hours and remove the remarks for Day only. I did my FAA commercial where night flying is part of the the license and added an IFR rating on a Scweizer 269. When I came back to Canada with a copy of my logbook and TC paper work filled out (request for endorsement or rating) received a night rating and a HU30 for the Schweizer, no validation or flight required in Canada. Hours are hours regardless of what boarder you log them on only restriction I recall is they have to be within the last 12 months from time of application.

• Like 1

Not too sure what you mean by restriction removal? A Canadian PPL or CPL can have a night rating added to it.

If you do a private license and a night rating, you will have a private license and a night rating. If you do a restricted commercial license, then do a night rating, you will have the "daylight only" restriction removed from your commercial license.

There's no such thing as a "night rating." As mentioned, if you have the experience, then the "restriction" will not be put on your license in the first place. Once you've done the hours, that's it. Nobody is going to say, "Well done, you've passed!" In your case, you'll have to pay the fee to have it removed once you have the experience.

I learn't to fly in the uk, then flew in Africa, US and now Canada. Each time (except once, more about in a min) they did not put the restriction on my license as I have hundreds of hours night.

When I converted my Fixed-wing commercial, they did put the restriction on. I called TC and told them about it. Simply a mistake by the woman who filled out my application. They apologised and I received a corect license a few weeks later. (I've never flown an aeroplane at night in Canada)

I would sugest when you do your hours, you get your instructor to sign AND stamp your logbook with the school official stamp, so there is no doubt. Always a good idea anyway.

As a side note, I've never been asked by TC personel to have a look at my logbooks. Even when I did the check ride (only had to do one for heli), the examiner did not ask me to prove my hours.

TC asks for your logbook when you apply for an ATPL, they go through them fairly well, particularly if they suspect anything (seen that happen many years ago, guy went in with 10 hours too little, the next day he went back with enough...)

ANyway, other than that they usually take your word for it, and also what is stated on your foreign certificate/ratingsbook/license etc.

Cheers

H.

Guest JetboxJockey

To answer my own question

I did my 10 hours of night flying in Bellingham using an R22 @ $240/hr.

Walked into Transport Canada this morning with logbook and license in hand. They signed off on it on the spot. "Daylight flying only" restriction removed. :)

If you wait for the updated sticker to be mailed to you (6-8 weeks) it's free. Getting them to sign my license on the spot cost me $40.00

Hopefully this thread will make it a little easier for the next person looking to explore their options.

• Like 3