Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

On-Line Petition Agains Tfw Pilots

Yesterday we started a petition against Temporary Foreign Worker (TFW) pilots in Canada.

Please sign it and ask your family and friends to sign it as well.

We have an english version:

https://secure.avaaz.org/en/petition/Canadien_government_Canadien_aircraft_flown_by_Canadian_pilots//?launch

and a French version of the same Petition, so sign either one.

https://secure.avaaz.org/fr/petition/Canadien_government_Canadien_aircraft_flown_by_Canadian_pilots//?launch

We are looking for 50,000 signatures so everyone should pitch in to make sure their friends and relatives all sign it. We are only going to run it for a few weeks because we would like to turn it in before Parliament closes on June 23 so please spread the word.

Lets show them that pilots can get together for once........

• Like 1

Can someone explain like I'm 5?

How is employing foreign pilots reducing an operator's costs? LMO applications cost money, and all the foreign pilots I've met don't work for any less than the Canadians next to them.

I'm genuinely curious.

• Like 1

How is employing foreign pilots reducing an operator's costs? LMO applications cost money, and all the foreign pilots I've met don't work for any less than the Canadians next to them.

I'm genuinely curious.

It's been explained numerous times already in the other topics. I'm sure you have been following them. Tee4 what is your country of origin if you don't mind me asking?

I'm genuinely curious.

It varies from one applicant to another.

Sometimes the TFW is already type rated on the Machine that the Canadian Operator has and the savings comes from not having to pay the Type Rating of the Canadian.

Some flight schools that have a charter Operations on the side, hire their ex foreign students as TFW on their charter side for free or peanuts or use that as an attraction for more foreign students.....

Sometimes the TFW is not paid at all, but actually offered to pay to fly in order to gain experience to go back home with.

Sometimes as in the case of the Sunwing TFW pilots who come from TUI, the pilot is already paid year round by TUI, the owner of Sunwing and TUI does not want to pay for a second Canadian pilot when they are already paying a European pilot to fly the machine in Europe (which is leased to Sunwing in the winter)

Sometimes the TFW actually earns much less than Canadians. Sunwing First Year Canadian First Officers earn about $60,000. I've read that first year Travel Service First Officer, a Czech airlines that provides pilots to Sunwing, earn $660 Euros per month the first 18 months in the company and $1200 Euros per month after, about 25% of the salary of the Canadians whose jobs they are taking away, plus they have to pay their Type ratings out of their pocket at home.....

Hope that clears it up for you.......

It varies from one applicant to another.

Sometimes the TFW is already type rated on the Machine that the Canadian Operator has and the savings comes from not having to pay the Type Rating of the Canadian.

Couldn't this be said for a Canadian moving from one company to another as well? I know of a few (Canadian) guys that have got an endorsement and bailed in their first year for greener pastures.

Some flight schools that have a charter Operations on the side, hire their ex foreign students as TFW on their charter side for free or peanuts or use that as an attraction for more foreign students.....

Why wouldn't these same training organisations hire the Canadian guy that trained there? I don't agree with flying for free or being paid peanuts, but I don't understand why a company would prefer to hire a foreigner over a local guy. An LMO costs money to apply. Hiring a local costs nothing to apply. I can't see the benefit here, but if it is happening, then it's not right and should be addressed.

Sometimes the TFW is not paid at all, but actually offered to pay to fly in order to gain experience to go back home with.

I've heard of Canadians doing this as well, and this issue is not limited just to Canada, it's a global issue with the industry, both fixed and rotary. https://www.facebook.com/stop.paytofly

Sometimes as in the case of the Sunwing TFW pilots who come from TUI, the pilot is already paid year round by TUI, the owner of Sunwing and TUI does not want to pay for a second Canadian pilot when they are already paying a European pilot to fly the machine in Europe (which is leased to Sunwing in the winter)

Sometimes the TFW actually earns much less than Canadians. Sunwing First Year Canadian First Officers earn about $60,000. I've read that first year Travel Service First Officer, a Czech airlines that provides pilots to Sunwing, earn $660 Euros per month the first 18 months in the company and $1200 Euros per month after, about 25% of the salary of the Canadians whose jobs they are taking away, plus they have to pay their Type ratings out of their pocket at home.....

This is completely wrong and should not be allowed to continue. This is the perfect example of why the TFW program needs to be cleaned up.

Hope that clears it up for you.......

Yes, it definitely does. Don't get me wrong, I agree the system has been abused and needs some serious work, and that a local guy should always be hired before a foreigner. But in the big scheme of things, it's a global industry, and there are just as many Canadians working overseas taking other locals jobs as there are foreigners in Canada. The stuff that's gone on at Sunwing and certain helicopter operators is unacceptable and needs to be fixed.

BigD, I have been following the other threads but I wanted a simple, clear explanation without all the "THEY TOOK ERRR JOOOBBSS" that seems to get rolling in these discussions. I'm a Canadian permanent resident, and I was never sponsored under an LMO or TFW program.

Yes, it definitely does. Don't get me wrong, I agree the system has been abused and needs some serious work, and that a local guy should always be hired before a foreigner. But in the big scheme of things, it's a global industry, and there are just as many Canadians working overseas taking other locals jobs as there are foreigners in Canada. The stuff that's gone on at Sunwing and certain helicopter operators is unacceptable and needs to be fixed.

BigD, I have been following the other threads but I wanted a simple, clear explanation without all the "THEY TOOK ERRR JOOOBBSS" that seems to get rolling in these discussions. I'm a Canadian permanent resident, and I was never sponsored under an LMO or TFW program.

You would understand when it happens to you. Last year I got a phone call from a company in the Yukon looking for a pilot because their guy from NZ was having Visa issues. Yes they told me this over the phone.

I have a hard time seeing the hardship here to Canadian flight crews. I work for a U.S. employer and work on a global basis in many countries. In fact, I know of several US companies that have a high percentage of Canadian flight crews, and this is not a unique situation that affects just Canada. It has been pointed out that the helicopter industry knows no boundaries, it is a constant developing and changing industry......flight crew demands (or lack of), will always dictate the use of foreign workers, especially those with experience. And that is the point, experience and knowledge is highly sought after worldwide.

Canada is just one of the players, and try as you may, petitions and fighting it will change little to nothing.....so good luck.

• Like 1