Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Fishing Trip

I'm heading out at the end of the month (June) for a fishing trip with clients. Our destination is Bella Bella (Shearwater). We'll probably leave Calgary, stop Golden, Revelstoke, William's Lake, Bella Coola then Bella Bella. I see that between William's Lake and Bella Coola, there's a couple fires roaring. I'll check the Notams when I leave, but does anyone know what kind of restrictions they have on air space in that area? Bald Mountain is 655 Ha, Puntzi Lake is 8089 Ha. What frequency do pilots fighting fires hang out on? 126.7? Anyhow, just curious what could be expected. Thanks. Matt

Hello Bluethunder,

I'm flying the S76 based out of Shearwater right now. We are staged at the south end of the heliport close to the ferry terminal. Flingwinger is correct. Pack light as the fishing is fantastic right now.Your clients should be very happy!!! I'm not sure if you've been here before but feel free to pm me if you have any questions about the area. Make sure to stop by to say hello and have a beer!!

Cheers,

LW?

Thanks Guys, that's very helpful. Looking forward to this. I've three others with me, so we're leaving room, but being the optimist, I'm planning on Shearwater to ship the fish back for us a few days later so that we can be home to collect it.

Land Where?, well that's actually a fitting name, and something I was emailing Shawn about yesterday. I've attached a picture as to where Shawn told me to park. Let me know where you want to see me abandon the 407 for a few days based on my picture. I don't want to piss off the locals :-). You say you're based out of Shearwater? If so, you'll probably appreciate one of my guests. Let's just say "he's bringing his guitar".

Anyhow, contact me direct if you like. 403-809-0126 or matt@blueconcalgary.ca

Thanks. Matt

Hello Matt,

Thats a perfect spot to land……in the middle !!! I'm staged near the ferry terminal at one end and the fuel is on the other.There are many other helicopters that come and go for fuel so just leave a little room for them. You should be fine there!! Yeah I'm flying out of Shearwater for the summer on a rotation with another fella. It sounds like your "Client" is a rock star!!! Very cool…can't wait. I had the pleasure of flying Kevin Costner a couple weeks ago,awesome guy!! When will you be here?

I'll give you a shout when you know!!

Cheers,

LW?

• 2 weeks later...

post-6378-0-35590500-1438741421_thumb.jpgWell, it was a successful fishing trip indeed. A 68 pound and a 67 pound halibut caught by our group as well as many decent size salmon. Great meeting you Rob, the entire staff at the lodge were great. A bit of envy eying up your 76 though. We'll be back sooner than later!