Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Skytrack System Causing Interference In Fm Radio

matsgone

Anybody has ever had interference problem in a FM radio caused by the Skytrack system?? I put the battery on, turn on the FM and TCHSSS TSCHH she goes, I pull the skytrack breaker and peace comes back. It also does the exact same thing on a handheld radio even a few meters from the aircraft.

Any ideas???

We had a similar problem with a latitude tracker. Really messed the FM up when using a repeater. FM antenna was on the boom and tracker antenna on the roof. We had an avionics teck troubleshoot with not a lot of luck. When we disabled the tracker the FM worked properly. Latitude send us some filters I think they are called, those round magnets that wire goes through. We put them around the power wires, and it helped a lot. Didn't totally solve the problem, but make a big difference.

• Like 1

Thanks a lot for the answers. It does sounds like grounding/ shielding issues. I will fire an email to Latitude and see. It is not an antenna proximity problem since it is also affecting a handheld even at 2mtrs from the machine.

This AM I had a little Motorolla hanheld radio, I put it on the "pedestal" close to the com box and it went tschhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh non stop. It would do that if held close to the pedestal or dash. When the skytrack ckt breaker was pulled, the problem went away.

Superwrench, you are saying that putting shields on the PWR cables helped the problem?? So its the actual power cables the problem? I guess they create electromagnetic interference that creates all kind of radio issues....

Thanks a lot for the help so far. If I find a solution I'll post it.

Cheers!!

I don't think it is the power cables. We had tried connecting the unit straight to the ships batt with different wires and the problem was still there. The filter/shields helped, but I can not explain or understand why they did. If you have a latitude unit they can check your box/data from there computers and possibly see if something that s up. Our trackers don't have any interfaces or connect to any systems, just power and ground to the unit.

Its on a BH12.

It turned out to be tied in satphone handset causing interference......god knows how...but once disconnected, problem disapeared..........Amazonian black magic!!!!