Bose A20 Headset In A Helmet - Anyone Tried One?

opie

I'm wondering if anyone has first hand experience with the Bose A20 mod into a Gallet 250 helmet such as this one:

http://store.tigerperformance.com/bose-msa-gallet-lh250-flight-helmet-dual-visors.aspx

Last year I switched from a SPH-5 to a new Gallet 250 and find it to be rather loud despite my best efforts to adjust the foam pads behind the ear cups. It's to the point that I wear ear plugs while flying.

I've heard that the previously available ANR kits for helmet (based on David Clarks I believe) didn't work too well.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

I installed Lighspeed Zulu in mine. Excellent headset much more affordable than Bose and the BlueTooth can stream stereo music as well as phone calls, both in excellent quality, whereas Bose A20 is only for phone call (no music).

Light speed confirmed Lightspeed Zulu and Lightspeed Zulu 2 would work well in a helmet.

Zulu PFX would not work well in a helmet according to Lightspeed.

Note, installing headset in helmet voids its manufacturer warranty.

What you are flying makes a big difference in the results you achieve. I have a full boogey David Clark with the remote battery pack in my 250, with Oregon aero kit. When I do use it (rarely) I really need to get the ear ups snugged up, to make a good seal. As soon as you put your head out the door (break a seal) the ANR losses its frequency...and struggles to cancel. So...doors and windows closed looking ahead. Astar ,407... Small luxury. Anything 2 bladed....I carry spare batteries, because there is such a difference, it has become a must. Mediums...depends on #of blades, how much tranny noise, and if the bloody window stays up.

I'm too busy to listen to music...or talk on the god **** phone when I fly (PDM!)...so I have no comment on that performance.

Got a A20 installed by Tiger in my 250. ANR works great for me (I do not fly without doors). However, as the other people said, it does void the warranty, and the size of the earcups on the A20 are smaller than the original ones in the 250, leaving a gap around the earcups. And Tiger does not fill that gap when installing the A20. The microphone boom is also a bit too long for the 250. A bit of a bummer in my opinion. Otherwise, highly recommended !

PS: the new A20 does have bluetooth music !

• 3 weeks later...

I have a Evo 252 with a Bose A20 installed and it's brilliant the fatigue levels after a long day flying are a lot better due to the noise reduction. I've been flying doors off in the 407 and it's been great no issues with the ANR dropping out however it can struggle at times when I'm in the 212 with the right hand side window down and the reverberations you can get through that.

The audio quality is great when playing music and the Bluetooth phone calls are good also I've had it where people on the other end of the calls don't know I'm flying.

The only down side to the older A20 I have found is having to use a cable to plug my iPhone in for music but as previously mentioned Bose has fixed that now.

Cheers Dan

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 2.11.2015 at 12:37 PM, Saifan Pilot said:

I installed Lighspeed Zulu in mine. Excellent headset much more affordable than Bose and the BlueTooth can stream stereo music as well as phone calls, both in excellent quality, whereas Bose A20 is only for phone call (no music).

Light speed confirmed Lightspeed Zulu and Lightspeed Zulu 2 would work well in a helmet.

Zulu PFX would not work well in a helmet according to Lightspeed.

Note, installing headset in helmet voids its manufacturer warranty.

@Saifan Pilot I know this post is long outdated. I have a Gallet 250 Helmet and have used it for almost 6 years with CME custom mold. I would like to add ANR to it. I found a used Lightspeed Zulu headset and would like to install it in my helmet. Do you have any pictures of your helmet or installation instructions?

Thanks,

IMO
If you're good with a soldering iron?

save your money and buy a pair of these. http://www.gibson-barnes.com/prod-295697/Cep-Mini-Cep-Mini-Vented-Hearing-Protection.html

There are cheaper places to buy them.
Work great doors on or off regardless of machine.
Not big on being distracted by the phone in flight.

I don't want to ever wonder if I could have reacted that split second faster, If I hadn't been distracted.

14 hours ago, AS350Pilot said:

@Saifan Pilot I know this post is long outdated. I have a Gallet 250 Helmet and have used it for almost 6 years with CME custom mold. I would like to add ANR to it. I found a used Lightspeed Zulu headset and would like to install it in my helmet. Do you have any pictures of your helmet or installation instructions?

Thanks,

These are some pictures I took.

Most of the installation was pretty straightforward. Needed to fabricate a "special" washer to seat the mic in the halemt plastic parts.
In order to disassemble the Lightspeed Zulu, you will need to cut a few plastic parts to be able to extract the interconnecting wire between the earphones. If you do it carefully, you can o it in such a way that the headset can be re-assembled to be used again as a headset.

Lightspeed Zulu Gallet LH250.zip

10 hours ago, Diaper_Pin said:

IMO
If you're good with a soldering iron?

save your money and buy a pair of these. http://www.gibson-barnes.com/prod-295697/Cep-Mini-Cep-Mini-Vented-Hearing-Protection.html

There are cheaper places to buy them.
Work great doors on or off regardless of machine.
Not big on being distracted by the phone in flight.

I don't want to ever wonder if I could have reacted that split second faster, If I hadn't been distracted.

IF you want CEP, I'd recommend getting custom molded ear monitors, as they block sound much better and far more comfortable for exnded use:

Westone makes these: https://www.westone.com/store/downloads/access/2016/GSA_CATALOG_2016.pdf

• Like 1