Bose A20 Headset In A Helmet - Anyone Tried One?

opie

CEP can be installed on any helmet.

It includes a port (connector) that is mounted on the helmet. The helmet needs to be drilled in order to fit this in place. It's tricky on carbon fibre helmets, needs to be done with the correct hole saw and technique: https://www.meritapparel.com/product/ssk-port-cep-port/

CEP has two ear plug tips that are attached to a connector that plugs into the port above: https://www.meritapparel.com/product/ssk-speaker-harness-cep-speaker-harness/

See also: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCGY6SVWNCQ

I recommend getting custom moulded ear tips (instead of sponge ones) noise reduction is better and comfort is greatly enhanced: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vlvqp3bo1g

4 hours ago, R0T0R said:

Can anyone tell me if the cep kit could be installed in a Alpha Eagle and how difficult that would be?

Yep, it can be.  About an hour's worth of work to install.  I had the help of a friendly avionics guy who worked for beer.

My beef with the CEPs is that the tips get dirty pretty fast, so a molded plug would be better.  They take a little longer to install into the ears then don the helmet so for short flights I don't use it.  However, long flights they're glorious and my ears don't ring.

Well worth the money in my opinion if you don't have the cash to drop on a Bose kit.

5 hours ago, R0T0R said:

Can anyone tell me if the cep kit could be installed in a Alpha Eagle and how difficult that would be?

I did it on mine.

As mentioned it takes about an hour by the time it's all said and done. I used a standard 1/2" drill bit if I recall and it worked fine. smoothed the hole with a chain saw file to remove the stray carbon fibers. Worked like a charm.

• 4 months later...

Resurrecting this old topic... Tried to pm Saifan Pilot but apparently he doesn't receive them? 

I have a gallet and looking to buy a lightspeed to either DIY the retrofit or find an avionics guy to give me a hand with the modification, but not sure: a) if it's a worthy mod, and b) if it's easy/seamles/practical to do on my own. 

Looking to see about getting those pictures reposted as apparently the host site doesn't have them anymore. 

Also seeing if anyone else has any experience modding existing standard comms to anr. 

I had the Lightspeed  Zulu installed in my old Gentex helmet and absolutely love it. Flighthelmets.com did the install 18 months ago it was about $1100. they provided the Lighspeed. I’ve had zero problems and almost 1000 hours of quiet, music, and phone enabled use since then. I actually hear the machine better with the ANR. Subtle sounds come through but it cancels the loud drone. And radio comms are almost a joy. Full convert would never go back. I have radio, Zulu, and ICS volumes about 25%. Clear and quiet makes for a happy cockpit.

• Like 1

That sounds great. When I finally come up with the scratch to replace my nearly 10 yr old Gallet, I'd like to go all out with an ANR kit... Tiger performance offers both the Bose and the Zulu for similar pricing.

Wonder if someone can offer a comparison of the two?

• 1 year later...

I have a 2 yr old Gallet LH050 with the A20, does anyone else notice when you turn on the ANR power it actually is a tad louder than when its off.  I just have gotten used to it and leave it on for the bluetooth function.  My question is, are the Bose meant to be in enclosed space or are they similar to the older X version as when you covered the hole on the outside of the ear cup things got louder, which is what it sounds like with my A20 in my helmet.  

Are the Lightspeeds a better headset for helmets?