Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

I'll Just Leave This Here : The Way You Get Paid Is Changing

Basically , pilots will receive a very small monthly salary (think somewhere around 2000-2500) , a day rate , and flight pay to top it all off.No number of days per year guaranteed. Just the expectation that you will be available to work 180 over a 365 day period.This measure is taken to save the employer money over the slow winter months so don't expect a half work and half time off schedule.

Implications for you:

-Go ahead and tell your wife that starting in Jan....

Would you care to substantiate your sky is falling doom and gloom posting with some background or some information about what company you are talking about or what has driven you to come up with comments sounding like they are from the Dark Cloud Crowd.

The company were I work has no such plans so that's all I and most readers have to go on.

We need facts if we are supposed to run out looking for a cliff to jump off.

Would you care to substantiate your sky is falling doom and gloom posting with some background or some information about what company you are talking about or what has driven you to come up with comments sounding like they are from the Dark Cloud Crowd.

The company were I work has no such plans so that's all I and most readers have to go on.

We need facts if we are supposed to run out looking for a cliff to jump off.

Will not name names. It will suffice to say that it is about a major player in the industry,and (i gotta give it to them) a trend setter. So, good for you that the company you work for has no such plans,but you have to agree that its all "Dark Cloud" stuff if this gets implemented and than spreads across the industry as an accepted way of doing things. No running out looking for cliffs to jump. They'll get herded your way. Cheers

There is no doubt that things are slow out there. But it has been a good summer for most companies and I foresee many good fire seasons to follow. Every down turn there are "pay reviews" where per diems are chopped ,away from base are taken away, flight pay is reduced,etc. All this happened in 08 and 09. Did those numbers get corrected while the mining industry was booming afterwards? NO! We have to stick with our guns guys and stand up for ourselves. Time for those at the very top to have their wages and performance reviewed.If this new stuff comes in to effect it will last thought the good years too.Good luck renegotiating a decent salary afterwards if this numbers become the norm.

The company that comes to mind have just won a contract has laid off a pile of their loyal pool guys after paying them 80's wages. But the CEO was fine with taking a 7 figure bonus. Capitalism at its finest. I've said it a thousand times before if you want loyalty in this industry get yourself a dog.

They are on the I'll go find something else to do before I work for them list.

• Like 1

Sorry for the sarcasm but we have talked about this and it will NEVER work. We've talked this to death. This industry was built on people shitting on their co-workers to make more money, get endorsements and prime jobs. How do you think we would ever be able to organize when we can't even play nice at work.

I got laid off the second the rain hit the coast after busting my *** all summer and the second I was supposed to collect some salary at home like I was promised, pink slip.

I've gone contract. You want my skill - pay up. When you need me call. I'm done with promises. I've seen how that works.

If you want a long term job and a pention you're in the wrong industry.

• Like 4

Sorry for the sarcasm but we have talked about this and it will NEVER work. We've talked this to death. This industry was built on people shitting on their co-workers to make more money, get endorsements and prime jobs. How do you think we would ever be able to organize when we can't even play nice at work.

I got laid off the second the rain hit the coast after busting my *** all summer and the second I was supposed to collect some salary at home like I was promised, pink slip.

I've gone contract. You want my skill - pay up. When you need me call. I'm done with promises. I've seen how that works.

If you want a long term job and a pention you're in the wrong industry.

The real problem is there is no shortage of guys willing to work for crap wages and bad rotations. You can go contract all you want in this market you will be the last one hired and first one let go. The ball is in the operators court and will be for a very long time.

Another thing that caused this is the TFW but that hasn't been beat to death either!

• Like 2

There a lot of insights and perspectives in this thread including the initial alphadog post which is a thorough descriptor of a potential pay schedule. I agree with many of the opinions and particularly that this is an age old discussion topic! But honestly I haven't read any well defined proactive suggestions for resolution.

Broken promises do happen, inequitable work distribution is a reality, people stepping on others to get to the top, I've seen it happen. But to think that a union, "standing up for ourselves" is going to force companies to change their business philosophy and get in line with a one for all pay system is a pipe dream. Even if they wanted to they couldn't.

We are niche individuals; some love the mountains some refuse, some want A to B flying or tourism some aren't happy without a bucket underslung and never seeing a passenger, some want to be part of a small fly camp some cringe at the thought of canvas, some avoid longlining at all costs some want only to be doing production or precision LL work, some love ski jobs some hate it. Finally some want a 7x7, 2x2, 42 straight, weekly base job, max out then go home for the mandatory time, contract for 4 months then off to Central America or straight night shift on medevac. And everyone has their own personal and professional reasons behind it.

Now I am not nor ever have been a company owner but will try to stay impartial. Companies too have their individual niche when it comes to business philosophy and ethics; some are structured with a base network some chase contracts from one HQ, some specialize at industry segments (oil, firefighting, logging, YVR-YYJ) some try to be all for all people, some presidents know your name some don't and don't care, some seriously try to team build some just want to pay by the hour then be gone with you.

I know I am just scratching the surface in these niches for employees and employers alike but the very certain common denominator to both parties is that a slow resource economy reduces latitudes. To me this means any form of employee group trying to force the employers is doomed while at the same time employers attempting to strongarm employees will ultimately feel the effects of people voting with their feet leaving a skill set void.

To wrap up this novel what is needed is a giant group hug! Ok ain't gonna happen.

But what about a study "HR Development In The Helicopter Industry" or something to that effect that would be a benefit to both parties. Possibly even funded partially by the HAC plus grant funding.The objective would be to align the company and individual niches, recognize them for what they are and see what can be developed to embrace some form of categorization. Not tiers, just operational preferences.

Just an idea but I do know forcing the issue from either side will be pushing water uphill.

• Like 2