Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Flying The Tuna Boat

Got some leads for possible employment flying a 500 on a tuna boat in the Pacific. The guy is asking me to make myself a sole about the conditions and the challenge i could Encounter.. So what do you guys have to say bout it ? All insights and spacially poeple that have been there beffore would be great to read! Thx !

Yes GV it was Hansen.. Tropic has a very bad reputation about safety too.. None the less, ive spoke with guy's who never got paid from there.

I Flew for a CIE in the states beffore and the maintenance was very scary. I can imagine what it is on a boat ! Engeneer are all by themselves and with minimum expériences also.

After reading Moogy's journal i am now fixed about my comitment with em.

• Like 1

It could be a character building experience. Like anything else,it depends on what you're after. If you are after the travel,experience,adventure,etc than give it a go. Maintenance sucks at times but nobody could convince me to fly if I didn't feel safe. The boats,especially the taiwanese ones offer a no frills experience.Be ready for cuisine that would make a stray dog gag and accommodations that sometimes are a 6 by 6 by 6 box situated by the boats hydraulics pack. Moggy's manual is a good read before you go . If you are after scheduled tours and anything that could remotely involve anything posh,even cozy slippers or tea that doesn't spill on your lap, don't go.

• Like 3

A couple of things to consider as well....

If you are paid in US funds, with the falling Canadian dollar, it is to your pay benefit. If you go in with a tax avoidance plan as well, it is to your pay benefit. You may also get other bonuses as well and if you don't have anything holding you back from spending a year away from home, it could be an adventure.

Tax evasion = bad

Tax avoidance = good

• Like 1