Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

10000 What

TREE TOP has an excellent post that is very applicable to the current times in this industry in the employment section. Unfortunitely you cannot reply in that section so I'm reactivating it in this section to see what the opinions of others may be..I believe the situation he is describing is more common in this industry in the current times than any of us wish to admit..

My situation is such that I had a secondary career throughout my main flying years so was fortunate enough to be able to ride out difficult times like now.But I certainly feel for the pilots and engineers presently in the industry who are trying to raise a family,pay a mortgage, supply the financial needs of day to day living,and save a little money for retirement

Is IFR the way to go..Don't know..I know quite a few IFR pilots working internationally for several years who are now unemployed and several more still working but very concerned about how much longer their jobs will last!

I think any pilot these days who is offered a FULL time job in the commercial industry should take a discriminating look at what is happening in the industry before he commits to borrowing money to support a mortgage,day to day lifestyle or toys. Full time jobs in the industry these days can overnite turn into seasonal efforts.

Can we blame the operators for the present situation? I really don't think so although I will say there are some out their that have questional motives..The long established operators are dealing with hourly rates that are at levels of the 1980's and are presently trying to get equipment prepared for the next season while paying for parts with a tremendously discounted dollar.In the present climate often bigger and better equipment means more over head and costs and very little improvement to the bottom line..

My advice for people established in this industry is to try and develop a second marketable skill that you can fall back on..very difficult to do but I believe almost necessary if you are determined to stay in this industry.

For the proffessionals in the industry,but especially pilots,it is a great job but in the present environment has turned into a terrible career..not for all ,but,for a great many.

And for those wondering,no I am not an operater and yes I still fly but fortunitly do not count on it for daily survival

Your thoughts

• Like 2

I haven't flown to much either in the last 2 years and i'm just shy of the 1000 mark... I have some other ressourses beside and can easely get back on the glue lid for a pay check. (I sincerely sympatise for the ones who can't). .. Every day i'm away of helicopters is like a day i lost. I love it that much.. it seems the table are now turning for the guys with less experiences. It looks to me that operator are most likely willing to send a1000 h pilot for less money now than the 10000 h guy who cost too much in theese dificult time for the same job. I suspect minimums will come down in the next few years and consultants will be more pro active toward low timer. I still will not be able to count on this kind of money for the mortgage but at least experience and training will start to cumulate again.

Thx longliner,

It's very disheartening when U have all the skills and ability required to be successful as a commercial pilot but there's no work to stay gainfully employed so what is a person to do ? I make less money now as a pilot than I did 10 years ago I thought things were suppose to get better financially as U gain experience not go backwards as it seems it has been for sometime now.

Like you longliner I to have always had that secondary career to fall back on and was very fortunate to be able to fall right back into it when the layoff came, but you're right that's not the case for everyone. I had 5 friends who like me wanted to fly helicopters many years ago but were unable to weather the kinds of stress and uncertainty of being able to support their families so they all gave up flying as a career.

My company didn't even give me notice or anything, I came home from tour for days off and never returned. Now as a salaried employee that meant the pay i received at the end of the month was the last one there was, the fund stopped coming in just like that.

So what are we to do starve, tell the banks they'll get payed in 4 or 5 months. I've been flying for twenty years and I'm sorry to say but most canadian operators really don't give a #### about us pilots or engineers, when they need us were their best friend after all it's us that takes their multi million dollar aircraft and flies our ***'s off for them making all kinds of money so the doors don't close, we drop everything we had going on only to be rewarded with a layoff slip at the end of the year while they hand out bonuses to managers.

I do hold my company accountable for my layoff, I was solicited to work for them with the guarantee of full time employment with all the perks to go along with it, the only perk I got out of working for them now is that i get to spend more time with my family. Let's hope nobody gets sick or needs drugs because with that layoff they also cancelled the benefits.

As for the IFR market I'd say your right about that as well, since my post I received a few personal messages stating the IFR market was not looking in much better shape than the VFR .

I guess for those who can ride it out you're lucky, for me after 20 years of uncertainty, wages that go down instead of up along with a large majority of the companies that certainly feed of it and find ways of making your pay just a bit smaller I say kiss my ***.

I doubt there will ever come a day when skilled pilot and engineers will make what they deserve based on what we can bring to the table.

• Like 1

Almost 20 years in industry, 8000hrs accident free, with an IFR ticket, and I can't get a call back or interview for a VFR or IFR job these days. Pretty slim pickings these days, and the few companies advertising for pilots right now aren't really hiring...they're resume baiting.

I hear ya Badmonkey, I'm sitting at 10,000 hrs all kinds of mountain time, precision longline pilot. extensive winter ops and I too sit.

I haven't flown to much either in the last 2 years and i'm just shy of the 1000 mark... I have some other ressourses beside and can easely get back on the glue lid for a pay check. (I sincerely sympatise for the ones who can't). .. Every day i'm away of helicopters is like a day i lost. I love it that much.. it seems the table are now turning for the guys with less experiences. It looks to me that operator are most likely willing to send a1000 h pilot for less money now than the 10000 h guy who cost too much in theese dificult time for the same job. I suspect minimums will come down in the next few years and consultants will be more pro active toward low timer. I still will not be able to count on this kind of money for the mortgage but at least experience and training will start to cumulate again.

Well when you're willing to work for free and publicly advertise it you are part of the problem and nowhere near the solution. Step into that golden shower Knucklehead!

• Like 3

Well when you're willing to work for free and publicly advertise it you are part of the problem and nowhere near the solution. Step into that golden shower Knucklehead!

. Where did you get that ? Are refering to my last sarcastic post about it? Don't snort to much snaky, it makes no sense when you talk.. As usual!

• 2 weeks later...

I was pursuing the IFR thing for a few weeks just as an insurance policy but I have had several PMs telling me not to bother and from what I can determine I think they're right. Somebody just sent me this just before Christmas to cheer me up I guess.

http://us6.campaign-archive1.com/?u=b7d29d5e67&id=325c1e075b&e=34e0546013

3000+ pilots and engineers laid off worldwide and counting. I don't think its the operators so much as the customers who are the problem and lots of them don't have any choice. Everyone says the operators have to raise rates to pay more but it looks to me like there isn't enough work for everyone as it is so raising rates might be a good way to end up with even less. I can't believe how much has changed in less than three years.

HH