10000 What

I did my research and had 3 job offers prior to starting the IFR training in January. However, know one could foresee at that time how long term the drop in oil prices was going to be. I'd take the FO wages and a set schedule and year round income over being laid off every fall.

Perhaps some of those guys that spend all their money getting their commercial license would actually be able to find jobs. If it wasn't for a few low life's abusing the TFW program, claiming they can't find Canadian Pilots. It will catch up with them sooner or later.

Three job offers before you even got an IFR. I'm sure that would surprise a lot of people that have an ATPL, IFR time and experience! So I'm assuming you have either medium and/or heavy with multi engine time?

Low oil prices, low prices for resources effecting the mining sector! Economy weak!= less money for stuff!!

Unless the planets population drastically implodes, a replacement is found to replace oil and people give up driving and using cell phones, expect that this is a down turn. Global demand will increase. ( eventually)

Unless of course the aliens land and give us some new technology soon, the petro dollar will prevail... 20-30 years perhaps.

Relax ! things will get better.... cant get much worse!

P5

If Saudi Arabia and Iran take a swipe at each other, that could push prices up pretty fast. Maybe Obama might want our "dirty oil sands oil" sooner rather than later?

• Like 1

just a heads up here, let's stay proactive... If the IFR route does not open doors , there is other options.. In about 6 month, if you work hard for at least 6 hours a day, you can learn to speak spanish level 4 icao. Then what ??? Chile, bolivia, spain all very very prosper zone in the globe.. Very easy license conversion. Just saying !

Would that make you a TFW over there???

• Like 4

Unless the planets population drastically implodes, a replacement is found to replace oil and people give up driving and using cell phones, expect that this is a down turn.

An increase in population increases demand for goods and services. If the planet's population implodes, there will be a very sharp decline in the need for goods and services.

This is an artificial downturn based on OPEC pumping out far more oil than there is a demand for in order to cripple Iran.

Guest JetboxJockey

Three job offers before you even got an IFR. I'm sure that would surprise a lot of people that have an ATPL, IFR time and experience! So I'm assuming you have either medium and/or heavy with multi engine time?

One IFR, two VFR with IFR rating. It was a very different picture a year ago in December 2014. Medium time and just for the record.

I paid for my IFR by selling off a little of my Apple stock that I bought in 2002 for a buck a share. Though I didn't just decide to piss away 15K for the **** of it. It was an investment in my future.

When things get back on track, the demand for IFR rated pilots will rise again.

I hope this satisfies the inquisition. :)

• Like 1

One IFR, two VFR with IFR rating. It was a very different picture a year ago in December 2014. Medium time and just for the record.

I paid for my IFR by selling off a little of my Apple stock that I bought in 2002 for a buck a share. Though I didn't just decide to piss away 15K for the **** of it. It was an investment in my future.

When things get back on track, the demand for IFR rated pilots will rise again.

I hope this satisfies the inquisition. :)

It's not an inquisition. I am just trying to figure out what separates you from a lot of pilots that have all those qualifications and more? My original point was that do the research before you spend the money, many past posts on Vertical have indicated that hadn't been done by s lot of people. If you have multi, medium and/or heavy it will make a big difference once you get the ratings. As opposed to 206 and Astar with no night or heavier time.

Anyways, I agree that when the oil prices pick up there will be a huge demand for IFR pilots. Another point is that a lot of overseas jobs require that you meet Captain qualifications, otherwise the position has to be filled by a national. That means you need an unrestricted ATPL, a bare IFR doesn't cut it. Perhaps someone on here like P5 has more info on that?

Guest JetboxJockey

I am just trying to figure out what separates you from a lot of pilots that have all those qualifications and more?

Lets just say the locations and tours where less than what I think most guys were looking for at the time. I'm sure many would jump at the chance now but things were very different when oil was $100 a barrel.

And you are correct, I am sure that there is not a hope in h**l that I could get any one of those jobs now. There are seasoned IFR pilots with far more experience than me looking for work as we speak.

• Like 2