Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Garmin Pilot App

Guest JetboxJockey

I played around with it over the summer. One thing I did find was that you could not import waypoints. This is a feature that apparently is in the works but is not currently available.

Other than that it was fairly similar in functionality to Foreflight. Importing waypoints into Foreflight is pretty clunky but at least it can be done.

Just my $0.02, your mileage may very.

• Like 1

Guest JetboxJockey

foreflght did the job when my 396 crapped out. Though I bought a used 696 on ebay to replace it. Mostly because of the importing and exporting of way points. I prefer foreflight for using the moving chart but as I mentioned the waypoint functionality has a way to go yet. IMO

• Like 1

interesting, you would think that garmin fears the loss in revenue by foreflight and all the other apps that are coming, produce an app that would make any tablet like the 795 for example charge a high yearly and people would go for it, and you dont have to manufacture anything... cause at 149 us a year, average current gps must be atleast 10 years, so its more beneficial in the long run.

I would not replace a 396 296 496 with a tablet, but I would use it as a back up, or as a primary with the 396 as a backup..

• Like 1

Garmin Pilot has aviation/obsticle/terrain database much like the portable units (296 and 695 etc..).

Works really nicely. Even includes Canadian VNC's.

However, for me, as a bush pilot, it's a deal breaker that it is not able to import/export user waypoints from a computer and/or from emails (like Gaia GPS does, which can import GPX and KML from computer or from emails).

I'm sticking to ForeFlight and Gaia GPS, until Garmin Pilot introduce user waypoint import functionality.

• Like 1

Well i might be stock with the old lighter plug, if im not flying One of those new vemd kinda thing... Has we speak, im fooling around with the garmin pilot aps for ipad, boy its not so simple to get use to it... I dont feel to trusty about it ! Im also trying to get a better way than the old google map for my long nav flight plan.. Any advise or sugestion ?? How do you guy's plan your long nav ? You know, the not so funny one when you have to land every 100 nm for fuel ?