Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Flying With A Weapon

I have a job coming up where the customer has required me to have a 12-gauge shotgun. I'm taking a company issued one but it got me thinking, what does everyone else carry in the field when flying in very remote areas?

Any thoughts on types, makes, folding stocks, airport issues, etc. are welcome.

Thanks,

M

When I was flying in black bear country I had a Savage 24 20ga/.22 over/under takedown that fit nicely inside my bedroll. I had both slugs and shot shells for the 20ga.

When I was in polar/grizzly bear country it was a Remington 870 12ga with a folding stock that also fit inside my bedroll. Also had shot and slugs for it.

Either way I never advertised I had it with me in case it might upset some people.

• Like 2

I have a barely legal 12 gauge "Dominion Arms Grizzly" with a telescopic stock that I carry when needed. Its cheap, so I don't care if it gets a bit beat up, and reliable. I do quite a bit of wildlife work, walking in on drugged bears and investigating dead animals and stuff so I bring it along often.

Never had any problems flying on airlines with it. I like the largest buckshot I can find like 00 or 000 and 3 inch mag.

I mostly carried a 629 44 magnum with a 4 inch barrel. Sometimes I carried a lever action 356. (30-30 on steroids)I wore the 44 Mag on me as I found the long guns tend to get left behind because of the size and awkwardness. After having an engine failure and breaking my lower arm, I had the 356 lever action with me, I have come to the conclusion that having a firearm that can be operated with one hand is the way to go. It was very painful loading a lever action with a broken arm. My new choice is a 357 magnum revolver, less recoil, operable with either hand and reliable.

• Like 1

I mostly carried a 629 44 magnum with a 4 inch barrel. Sometimes I carried a lever action 356. (30-30 on steroids)I wore the 44 Mag on me as I found the long guns tend to get left behind because of the size and awkwardness. After having an engine failure and breaking my lower arm, I had the 356 lever action with me, I have come to the conclusion that having a firearm that can be operated with one hand is the way to go. It was very painful loading a lever action with a broken arm. My new choice is a 357 magnum revolver, less recoil, operable with either hand and reliable.

I love lever guns and own them but I still like a pump for the scenarios we are talking about. I also own and shoot revolvers. I like the story where the oldtimer was listening to a friend talk about a gunfight. He asked why he was using a pistol and the reply was, "I was just trying to get back to where I dropped my rifle." John Wayne in a cowboy bar-fight - revolver maybe. I'm more like the crusty old sheriff with his trusty coach gun!