Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Is Anybody Working Out There?

old

Why so snippy? I agree with the previous comment. Do you really think that because your machine fly's that you are entitled to some kind of superwage over an excavator operator? They work hard all day everyday. Not saying you don't. It's just that attitude thing coming through again that seems so prevalent among some pilots.

That is the problem with not just the rotary industry its the same in the fixed wing end.Just read some of the posts from time to time on AvCanada. I have seen people on AvCanada that feel they should get as much as a brain surgeon as they have peoples lives in their hands every day. There are those that feel because they decided to be a pilot they are at least one step above equipment operators, truck drivers etc. My neighbour is a heavy duty mechanic. He went to school for 8 months over 4 years to get his ticket. Works his A$$ of every day busting his back lifting and dragging heavy parts. But some how he doesn't deserve what pilot should get.

• Like 1

I paid for my helicopter lisence running excavator and have journeyman papers. The amount of risk, responsibility, and training is far beyond any hoe operator....and should be accounted for in pay. I work just as hard as any **** one of you. If you think a hoe and a helicopter are comparable, with all due respect sir, you are a moron.

You make some valid points, but I think the name calling is unnecessary.

You are right: Helicopter pilots probably should be paid more, but we are talking about basic supply & demand in an "over supplied" industry. Any pilot who doesn't understand this isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer either. There are many operators who would love to pay a pilot more. **** they'd also like to get a higher tariff....If my aunt had nuts she'd be my uncle. If you didn't recognize the nature of this industry when you paid for your licence (just like the rest of us), then you have no one to blame....

If a pilot works for a company who runs aircraft dirt cheap (many pilots do) ...they are part of the problem.

FYI our company operates helicopters, along with excavators. There's nothing wrong with diversification. We also have a freight division and run Peterbilts (along with Bell and Airbus helicopters).

• Like 3

Why so snippy? I agree with the previous comment. Do you really think that because your machine fly's that you are entitled to some kind of superwage over an excavator operator? They work hard all day everyday. Not saying you don't. It's just that attitude thing coming through again that seems so prevalent among some pilots.

We all Know that you are one of those pilot hating engineers Old so we won't take it too personally. On a side note some of the most useless lazy people I've met are Engineers and of those were the pilot hating kind.

Anyone that thinks that a hoe operator should be paid what a pilot does is an idiot. Sure they work hard but if that is what you base pay on, why is a manual laborer not paid what a brain surgeon is.......surely he works as hard, if not harder. Pay in most of the worlds industries are based on the responsibilities the individual has, and the consequences if the job is not done properly. If you screw up digging a ditch, you simply straighten the line, or dig it deeper. Screw up flying your helicopter and at best you have hundreds of thousands dollars damage (if not millions) and at worst, bodies spread all over the ground.

• Like 2

This is pointless, it is like delaing with Trump supporters. I choose to represent myself with more worth than my previous profession, and I hope this affects all of us Pilots with more worth. If your self worth as a pilot is the same as a excavator opertaor...you must be a real star in this industry. After 10 years of working with majority of over weight, chain smoking alcoholic equipment operators I looked around me and wanted better. Now, after 10 years of working as a pilot, I have zero regret, I have worked with many professional people, but there are always the trolls, no matter what you do. I am going to run a hoe this winter, make more than I do in summer, sitting on my *** in in a dry cab....if you call that hard work....... I will return to fly a beautiful 212 for a great operator, and receive decent pay in comparison to other operators......it will be nice to do a mindless job for a change.

For those of you that think a safe, professional pilot with high a skill set has the same value as a truck driver or hoe operator......your just as bad as the low-balling companies, YOU are part of the problem.

The guy cutting my lawn last summer worked so fricking hard.....I guess he should make the same wage as a brain surgeon.....pointless.

Wow i hope while you are running that excavator this winter you insure you tell the guys you are working with just what a bunch of low life's they really are. If they are all so bad then why don't you leave running equipment and driving trucks to us low life that don't mind doing it when we have nothing better to do. By the way i have been in this industry 30 years. I have met my share of over weight, chain smoking alcoholic pilots that think they are gods gift to aviation. Your post just shows how much you really think you are gods gift to this industry.

However i will agree with you this topic is pointless. When you have to deal with people that believe because they fly helicopters they sit next to God. Enjoy your winter working with them low life's.

• Haha 1

That is the problem with not just the rotary industry its the same in the fixed wing end.Just read some of the posts from time to time on AvCanada. I have seen people on AvCanada that feel they should get as much as a brain surgeon as they have peoples lives in their hands every day. There are those that feel because they decided to be a pilot they are at least one step above equipment operators, truck drivers etc. My neighbour is a heavy duty mechanic. He went to school for 8 months over 4 years to get his ticket. Works his A$$ of every day busting his back lifting and dragging heavy parts. But some how he doesn't deserve what pilot should get.

Well said just looking. I guess you need to change your handle from just looking to commenting sometimes.lol.

We all Know that you are one of those pilot hating engineers Old so we won't take it too personally. On a side note some of the most useless lazy people I've met are Engineers and of those were the pilot hating kind.

Actually you have me all wrong. I certainly don't hate pilots. I merely dont hold them in the same high regard as they hold each other. I would say that 90 % of the pilots I work with are great and think they likewise of me. As to work ethic I have nothing to prove but have worked dilligently in this industry for well over 30 years, have a great reputation within the industry and have never been out of work for more than 1 week in all that time both in good times and bad. Can you say the same? I do certainly like to goad people into debate from time to time but I certainly don't just target pilots. It just seems that some of the people on this site are such easy targets in that they take the hook so easily. Funny euphemism as I don't particularly like fishing.

• Like 1