Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Is Anybody Working Out There?

old

Anyone that thinks that a hoe operator should be paid what a pilot does is an idiot. Sure they work hard but if that is what you base pay on, why is a manual laborer not paid what a brain surgeon is.......surely he works as hard, if not harder. Pay in most of the worlds industries are based on the responsibilities the individual has, and the consequences if the job is not done properly. If you screw up digging a ditch, you simply straighten the line, or dig it deeper. Screw up flying your helicopter and at best you have hundreds of thousands dollars damage (if not millions) and at worst, bodies spread all over the ground.

Using your argument Air traffic controllers being responsible for thousands of people should make millions. Comments?

• Like 1

Anyone that thinks that a hoe operator should be paid what a pilot does is an idiot. Sure they work hard but if that is what you base pay on, why is a manual laborer not paid what a brain surgeon is.......surely he works as hard, if not harder. Pay in most of the worlds industries are based on the responsibilities the individual has, and the consequences if the job is not done properly. If you screw up digging a ditch, you simply straighten the line, or dig it deeper. Screw up flying your helicopter and at best you have hundreds of thousands dollars damage (if not millions) and at worst, bodies spread all over the ground.

Using your argument Air traffic controllers being responsible for thousands of people should make millions. Comments? My point is that being a hoe operator traffic controller or ditch digger, no matter what you do be the best you can be at it and you will not only be happy with yourself, comfortable in your own skin, you will more than likely be the guy that stays employed during tough times. If need the security of your piers constantly reassuring you that you are truly a god at what you do then you will unfortunately be the winer that is constantly unhappy and constantly looking for work. Lets face it, sometime in the future you will no longer be able to do what you do. No ;onger a pilot, ATC, engineer or anything. How will you be happy when you can't identify yourself by your profession? Hard work and the knowledge that you did your best at any endeavour is all you have in the end.

Actually you have me all wrong. I certainly don't hate pilots. I merely dont hold them in the same high regard as they hold each other. I would say that 90 % of the pilots I work with are great and think they likewise of me. As to work ethic I have nothing to prove but have worked dilligently in this industry for well over 30 years, have a great reputation within the industry and have never been out of work for more than 1 week in all that time both in good times and bad. Can you say the same? I do certainly like to goad people into debate from time to time but I certainly don't just target pilots. It just seems that some of the people on this site are such easy targets in that they take the hook so easily. Funny euphemism as I don't particularly like fishing.

You don't have to defend yourself to me but I still stand behind my statement of some of the most useless people I've met in this industry. You seem to have a very high opinion of yourself you'd make an awesome pilot!

You don't have to defend yourself to me but I still stand behind my statement of some of the most useless people I've met in this industry. You seem to have a very high opinion of yourself you'd make an awesome pilot!

Notice that not once ever have I called pilots out as being overweight, or alcoholic or useless. I have never disrespected the skills of any pilot I have commented on. It is merely the attitude of some that gets to me. I imagine that I would have been a competent pilot or any other profession that I chose as I have always believed that being committed to the hard work involved would see me through. Short of a brain surgeon or something that takes extraordinary brain power which I will happily admit I could not do.

You never seem to mention anything other than pilot's being the flawed component of this industry though (Fact). I've worked with some real peach pilots as well but you never seem to mention flaws of engineers that think the world revolves around them?!( Also overweight alcoholic and useless) I have a lot of respect for the job engineers do but the second I hear an engineer tell me that I'm just a meat servo I remind them that when I have my back against the wall in a dicey situation I don't have tech support to call.

I'll leave this here as I'm not going to waste my time arguing with a guy who clearly doesn't respect what I do for a living.

• Like 1

I paid for my helicopter lisence running excavator and have journeyman papers. The amount of risk, responsibility, and training is far beyond any hoe operator....and should be accounted for in pay. I work just as hard as any **** one of you. If you think a hoe and a helicopter are comparable, with all due respect sir, you are a moron.

You may have a point about responsibilities and training required, however I'm not sure risk has that much to do with how much a person gets paid in "most of the world's industries".

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/sec.theglobeandmail.com/life/the-hot-button/and-the-top-10-most-dangerous-jobs-are/article16352517/%3Fservice%3Damp?client=safari

I'd say more than any factor, "the market" determines wages. If supply of trained individuals (who are willing to take the risks) is high (or demand is low) then wages are generally less. This applies to all industries.

The other thing about this industry is many pilots just love to fly....when times are tough they will take what they can get to get in that seat.

• Like 2

Unfortunately for everyone, there is a large over capacity of helicopters available for hire in the market. Until there is either a substantial increase in work available for the aircraft or there is a substantial reduction in the helicopter fleet across the country, the little work available will be spread thin. Until either of those things change, we just have to get used to licking the bologna and putting it back in the fridge.

I agree, our industry is screwed to the bone and for good. Never again the good old years will ever apear again.

No new pilot can now hope to make a living out of this, lots of high time eather.

I am done with working my a$$ off triple in winter just to compensate the losses in the summer.

I'm pretty close to done with it.

• Like 1

I agree, our industry is screwed to the bone and for good. Never again the good old years will ever apear again.

No new pilot can now hope to make a living out of this, lots of high time eather.

I am done with working my a$$ off triple in winter just to compensate the losses in the summer.

I'm pretty close to done with it.

Good! Beat it!

• Like 1