Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Is Anybody Working Out There?

old

Sir. Have you ever considered buying your own helicopter and becoming an owner operator?

Economic downturns, and problems for established companies can present opportunities for others...given recent developments there is lots of equipment available at reduced pricing. The economy (and our industry in particula) has always been cyclical; at some point it will rebound.

You would then be free to manage your company the way you feel others should manage theirs (& pay pilots what you feel they are worth).

I'm not trolling or being sarcastic. It's a fair question. I'm pretty sure many of the successful entreprepenurs in our industry got their start in this very same way.

• Like 1

Nope, I think this country has enough helicopter companies ans helicopters as is. My family life and time off is more important to me than the dedication it would take to run a company. Since the resections started, every year we hear talk that companies are going to go under..........well, I have not heard of very many companies going out of business, I think this reflects how well they do for the owners.

And if I was a owner and the going rate was to pay X amount of dollars to the crew.....I would probaly pay it, maybe a bit more to keep good crew around....but business is business and why would I pya if I donT have to?

This is the problem, cant expect an owner to up the rates, the industry is just the pitts. Like I originally posted, It just does not seem right to be paid the same as I do in my excavator.

Nope, I think this country has enough helicopter companies ans helicopters as is. My family life and time off is more important to me than the dedication it would take to run a company. Since the resections started, every year we hear talk that companies are going to go under..........well, I have not heard of very many companies going out of business, I think this reflects how well they do for the owners.

And if I was a owner and the going rate was to pay X amount of dollars to the crew.....I would probaly pay it, maybe a bit more to keep good crew around....but business is business and why would I pay if I don't have to?

This is the problem, cant expect an owner to up the rates, the industry is just the pitts. Like I originally posted, It just does not seem right to be paid the same as I do in my excavator...7 days on and 7 days off, $120'grand a year to dig dirt.

One the the winter gigs out west I looked at paid $367 dollars a day to support heliskiing, 2 and 2. Only flying a few hours a day, landing at 10,000 feet, smiling with customers all day long and being away from your family......for 367 dollars a day? Driving this excavator for the same schedule and double the money, plus way easier work, way less responsibility, no training is an obvious choice....... But in my opinion, goes to show how f'd up the helicopter industry is.

And if I was a owner and the going rate was to pay X amount of dollars to the crew.....I would probaly pay it, maybe a bit more to keep good crew around....but business is business and why would I pay if I don't have to?

This is the problem, cant expect an owner to up the rates, the industry is just the pitts. Like I originally posted, It just does not seem right to be paid the same as I do in my excavator...7 days on and 7 days off, $120'grand a year to dig dirt.

One the the winter gigs out west I looked at paid $367 dollars a day to support heliskiing, 2 and 2. Only flying a few hours a day, landing at 10,000 feet, smiling with customers all day long and being away from your family......for 367 dollars a day? Driving this excavator for the same schedule and double the money, plus way easier work, way less responsibility, no training is an obvious choice....... But in my opinion, goes to show how f'd up the helicopter industry is.

For are all you trolls out there that think I was rude or disrespectful saying a lot of equipment operators are over weight alcoholic chain smokers well........I am going on my third shift now on a cat 390D. Nice machine, 2 years old, however, my 300 plus pound cross shift keeps leaving his chew cans and cigaret buts for me to sweep out every morning.....The other hoe opertaor, a short wirey guy coverd in tattoos has no phone, because he says he gets mad and keeps breaking them. Between drags on his cigarets, he mentioned the only thing heis good at is fighting and drinking.

so back to my first post in this thread......I rest my case. I said it how it is. Myself and these amazing shinning examples of proffesional individuals are making as much money as contracting on a 212 on 2.5 + mins........