Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Is This A Flying Position

So what do you think about this. Is it a flying position our just away to exploit another 100 hour guy. Appears to me by the ad there is no need to be a pilot.

Buffalo Aerial Services is looking for hard working, motivated 100 hrs pilots for the up and coming 2017 aerial spay season. No experience needed just the will to learn and work hard.

Applicant must have:

Alberta Applicators certificate
Clean drivers licence
Strong work ethic
Mechanically Inclined
Good problem solving skills

Season will run July 15th to mid September.

If interested please send resume to buffaloaerial@telus.net

I have met the owner when I flew into Chetwynd. He seemed like a really nice guy. Anyways "just looking" when was the last time you saw a flying position posted for a 100 hour pilot. You never know maybe they will get to do ferry fights or learn something. i don't know many pilots that got hired for flying positions straight out of flight school.

• Like 2

If he has a spray operation, he is more than likely looking for a batch truck driver for the spray season. Its why he's looking for someone with an Alberta application license and a clean drivers license. If you're working as a batch truck driver in Alberta, you are going to need the pesticide license and maybe even a commercial drivers license, unless he has a trailer that he uses for batching and hauls it with a pick up, then he might get away with having a driver with no commercial drivers license. Hard work, but good experience.

I have never seen a direct entry job. Ariel spraying is specialized work. I doubt if the main pilot gets sick they will say there you go have at it and show us what you can do. Regardless not sure why anyone would have to have a Commercial helicopter licence with 100 hours to do this job. If this guy is really going to give him a start and get him a pile of ferry hours for working hard, I say good for him. Everyone has to start somewhere.

Exploit another 100 hr guy? I've never met a 100 hr guy that hasn't been exploited unless Daddy owned the company. That being said, I'd rather hire a 100 hr guy that has a season under his/her belt working around helicopters than a 100 hr guy/girl that worked at McDonalds and expects the right seat out of flight school.

• Like 2

I would rather hire one that has good hands and feet. I don't care were they worked. I have seen more then 1 100 hour guy with great hands and feet that had no choice but to work outside the industry before they got their chance. I have also seen more then one that have been kept around companies that i wouldn't let drive my vehicle. They were kept around and stayed cause there was always that golden carrot. Unfortunately after years of being let go they never progressed past ramp duties and ferrying machines all with the promise of we should get you going next year. So what would you call that.

Regardless i see nothing in the ad promising any flying its all about the following. So why even say must be a 100 hour pilot.

Alberta Applicators certificate (Don't need oneto fly)

Clean drivers licence (Don't need one to Fly)
Strong work ethic (Always Nice to have no matter what your doing)
Mechanically Inclined (Isn't that the AME job)
Good problem solving skills (Always nice to have no matter what your doing)

The mechanically inclined thing has to do with maintaining and repairing pumps, trucks and other gear required to do the job. A 100 hour guys has basic common sense working around loud helicopters with turning blades and it's good for the resume. Why are people down their throats about this being a flying job. Compare this post a any of the others looking for line pilots and it's obvious that this is a ground crew job.

I got my start in the spray industry. It sucked but I got valuable skills out of it that I still use today.

Best of luck to the applicants!

• Like 2

I also got my start in the spray industry after four years of busting my balls on the ground along with a hand full of others. I witnessed many 100 hr pilots come and go during that time because they weren't willing to work hard and earn their seat. I was told by senior pilots that I'd never get a chance to get flying there because no one ever left. Well of course they did and it was just a matter of time. Now,the group of pilots that I worked with on the ground and who stuck it out including myself are flying on all sorts of different jobs all over the world,on all different types and loving it. So, you ask if it's a flying job??? Does it say that?? No!!! It's a ground job!! But my point is that you have to start somewhere....holy flaming cow!!

• Like 7