Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Canadian Heli Companys

keep talking imlistening to absolutely everything you have to say, any tricks of the trade and such will be dually noted. Working in turism i know that if i take to heart what the experienced guys say it might land me in a job someday, Or a jail cell :P there seems to be a general consensus that CHL is a good place to start, but once youre fed up, leave

Need more info, Keep talking! Cole :)

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to throw rocks but I remember Okanagan having the same - ask no help give no help policy in the early 80's.

One crew arrived and announced this to the world then immediately went U/S for an O ring. We had tons and the guys just wouldn't accept one. One week u/s. Stupid! We where all on one year contracts so no need to be that way.

It didn't work then and won't work now unless you happen to have an extra -extra large spares box.

We all know it is always the part you don't got that breaks. Always - without fail- it is the aviation God's way of keeping you humble.

My OKANAGAN base had no such policy, early or late 80's... plus I never heard "If you help them, you will be fired". (Words I have heard at CHW many times)

I recall getting a call in a busy fire season from a Can-West engineer at 0600. "Please do you have an O-ring for a 206 external fuel filter, I just cut my last one !!"

"Sure do", and I'll be there in 15 min's"

They couldn't believe that A ) I'd give them one, and B ) I'd get out of bed early to do it.

For repayment, they gave me 10 O-Rings and a lot of liquor !

What was I going to do? we were all flying 8.0 's then ...so..if they were down for the day, was I going to suddenly get a 16.0 ??? not likely!

COLE Maybe CHL will clean house soon, realize that crew ARE important, and make it a company that people DO want to stay at for extended periods of time, now wouldn't that be a nice change.

was up in norman wells in early 80's...had to borrow an o-ring from the base engineer...his line at the time was don't tell anyone...especially their base pilot....this fine individual (base pilot) was later dismissed,a nicer word than was actually used...so it may have been a base to base policy :blink:

....dismissed for lending an O-Ring?...or was there more going on? Sounds like a great case for a labor Lawyer to make big bucks on, if that was all that happened?

I should correct my previous post, in defence of Mr SharkBait, I do recall a policy LATE in OK's history that mentioned something to the effect of not letting the competition in the hangars, but never heard the you'd be Fired for that or lending O-rings.

407d....you read the post wrong...Oring was borrowed from base engineer...base pilot was let go at a later date for all of his shinnanigans...I thought anyone that had worked for Okie would have heard the story... :D

I don't know about "official policy", but I remember while being with Okie, that I had occasion to be "sat in the chair" over this subject by one Dan Dunn because "he'd heard things". I admitted freely to being part of loaning certain parts which was something akin to an o-ring, said I had done it for eons and would continue to do it. That comment "went over like a lead balloon" and then I was ready to pounce because I have always kept written records of such things. I pulled out my book indicating the number of times over the years that the same thing had been done for me and how many hours/revenue had NOT BEEN LOST for the company as a result......and that was the end of that conversation right there and for always. His final comment to me, "Okay with that kind of stuff then, but watch the FCU's, govenors and such". My reply I remember well because he and I both laughed over it, "Sure Dan, no problem on that. I've yet to see anyone's spares box with those items included anyway, although I usually carry 4-5 of those all the time.....not including at least two spare 205 generators" :lol:

There was an oficial written policy at Okie with regards allowing other companies of whatever sort to bring their a/c or whatever inside a company hangar and insurance was the reason. I had no particular problem with that and knowing stupid insurance companies and their rules, I could well believe it. That did not prevent me from providing engine tents, etc, etc, to some company who was parked close to my hangar. It was known about by company and although they were uneasy about the practise, they understood and went along with it. Many a time the shoe had been on the other foot and they **** well knew it, although wouldn't openly admit it. I found that over the years it has been the "unofficial policy" of many companies to have the attitude of "you don't tell us anything about it and then we won't know and we won't ask. Just keep it down to a 'dull roar' okay". In the "bush world" of F/W, such goings-on has been in existance forever and continues to this day and why the bloody **** not. I'm not going to do it on a daily or weekly basis but "come on...give me a break".......and all over a stupid rubber o-ring or some packing. Besides, that's the engineer's department and if he doesn't tell me I don't know either and more power to him.