Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Multi tool suggestions

I've used the Leatherman Wave and it's pretty good.

I'm currently using the Leatherman Surge. It's a bit big, but the wire cutters are hardened steel and seem to be holding up better than those on other LM models.

I think that it somewhat depends on your part of the field.  For general purpose I find that you can't go wrong with leatherman or gerber for multitools.  I picked up a lm kick for about 25 bucks at walmart years ago, other than the small blade driver, the thing has held up like a tank.   I think it's a must to get a model where you can access tools without unfolding the pliers, luckily it seems to be the dominant style they make now.

I've had my Wave for over a decade now, and it's served me well but there's play in the wire cutters now and it always gets jammed when I try to snip lockwire.

I've been considering the Signal, though from the reviews I've read the "survival" gadgets aren't anything to write home about and beyond that it's a pretty standard Leatherman. I do like the caribiner clip in the handle though, which it shares with several other models. 

This one - just for the description the ad copy. Guaranteed to give your engineer the cold sweats! :D

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/4012-405/Crunch-Multi-Tool

Thanks for all the suggestions. I ended up purchasing the Leatherman Skeletool. Seems nice and light. Clips to your belt. I think it will be fine for pulling off plastic drum caps, cutting lock wire, fastening cowl screws etc. It even has a bottle opener for frosty off duty beverages.

10 hours ago, Daz said:

This one - just for the description the ad copy. Guaranteed to give your engineer the cold sweats! :D

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/4012-405/Crunch-Multi-Tool 

"get the Jet Ranger back in the air" pricless!  An engineer and I were together up north. He saw me coming along with a little tool role. He stopped, stared and said,"Oh my god it's my worst nightmare...a pilot with his own tools".

• 2 weeks later...

Quick field update on the leatherman skeletool. I keep it clipped to my radio bib. Super light, it has already seen plenty of use on dash screws, engine cowling, drum caps, cutting ropes and everything else. I'm plenty happy with it so far. I'll be checking out the bottle opener feature Fri evening after my tour ends.