Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

What's to old to start?

Fly47

Hello,

I've taken the plunge and done what I've wanted to do since I was a child. Except I'm 47 and wondering what's too old.

Who's going to hire a 47 yr old who's right out of flight school and what can I expect as far as jobs?

Give it to me straight please.

Thanks

Hypothetically if I was hiring someone, (I however am not, nor will I be)  I would be looking at a multitude of skills, including maturity. Its clear quickly in here, that maturity is lacking in many.

I would never tell someone to give up on their dream, only to be prepared for the battle. You're late out of the gate, but you're not dead yet, and the only way you're going to live the dream is to pursue it with everything you have. Good Luck.

Just ignore Rico, he's probably worried you'll take his job.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, GrayHorizons said:

Hypothetically if I was hiring someone, (I however am not, nor will I be)  I would be looking at a multitude of skills, including maturity. Its clear quickly in here, that maturity is lacking in many.

I would never tell someone to give up on their dream, only to be prepared for the battle. You're late out of the gate, but you're not dead yet, and the only way you're going to live the dream is to pursue it with everything you have. Good Luck.

Just ignore Rico, he's probably worried you'll take his job.

HeliRico is just mad because he couldn't make it in the industry. You won't have to worry about stealing his job. 

• Like 3

This industry has a bad habit of taking advantage of all your non-heli skills without any intention of ever flying you.  Make sure you're clear that flying is your priority, not building a deck for the owner's house, doing his taxes or giving him investment advice. (or whatever your pre-heli work was).  Transferable skills are great for opening doors, just make sure to leverage them once you're in.

• Like 2

If you like this and you're okay with the pay and conditions I'd suggest you take what you can find. It doesn't matter how old you are. This job is hard to get into and in some cases it's hard to stay at it. All that matters is how you like what you're doing at the end of the day and that you're safe. Best of luck and keep us posted on your journey and what you're up to. 

• 10 months later...
On 7/13/2017 at 4:47 PM, Fly47 said:

Hello,

I've taken the plunge and done what I've wanted to do since I was a child. Except I'm 47 and wondering what's too old.

Who's going to hire a 47 yr old who's right out of flight school and what can I expect as far as jobs?

Give it to me straight please.

Thanks

So its been almost a year,...did you go for it?