Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

What's to old to start?

Fly47

Fly47 

If you are still on the site .... may I give you this.

Having instructed abintio students and alot of sim time with older pilots learning new skills. You may find it somewhat challenging. It will depend alot on your background.

Individuals at your age are normally much more focused and attentive. Obtaining the license will not be to difficult, again depending on your background. 

Finding the first job and keeping it though will be somewhat difficult. Why, well you are more mature and seasoned and will find it difficult to put up with the possible BS you may encounter.

I wish you well in your endeavor. It is a great industry. Yes, there are critics but do not be swayed.

• 2 years later...
On 7/14/2017 at 1:12 PM, Wizard said:

I have seen a couple guys in their 40's get a start and make a career out of it. 

Keep in mind that past life experience isn't going to put you above sweeping floors and cleaning bathrooms just like everyone else! 

Best of luck and enjoy it! 

I dont understand this. Who in there right mind would spend 70-80k to come out with a license only to clean a bathroom? Can't you hire a maintenance person for that?

11 hours ago, goober said:

It varies, depending on what operator you get on with. Expect mcdonald's wage for a few seasons until you can make the company money.

Naw, McDonald's abides by labour codes. When you factor in mandatory OT/on-call, days off that aren't a sure thing, count on making well below minimum wage. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Flyguy123 said:

How much an hour?

Back when I was on the ground I made $12/hr (10 years ago). I worked my butt off but for a great group of guys who went through the same type of thing when they were low time/apprentices. 

What was more important to me than money was the opportunity, I could pay my bills and feed myself and I knew if I kept my head down I wasn't going to be on the ground for forever.