ORNGE Crash

There were so many failures identified in the TSB report (on behalf of management and the regulator) leading up to this accident that I find hard to beleive that this is the only avenue they are taking.. This was a standard IFR departure from a fully equipped airport. To state that such a departure can't be accomplished safely without night vision goggles is a bit of an exaggeration in my opinion. How many of these flights are accomplished safely every day worldwide,...ensuring pilots are trained, current and proficient is what allows that to occur.

Would NVG have been another tool that pilots could have used? Maybe.

You also have a regulator who identified findings related to deficiencies prior to this, didn't follow their own surveillance procedures and allowed the operator to remain in non compliance (or so they claim) for extended periods of time.

The civil litigation should be interesting

http://www.tsb.gc.ca/eng/rapports-reports/aviation/2013/a13h0001/a13h0001.asp

• Like 1

Shakey don't get me wrong. There were a lot of shady stuff went on at Ornge. However i don't believe there was a gun held to the crews head to go out flying that night. They obviously felt they were up to the task and had the rating to do so. This from the accident summary says it all. Why did Transport let this go on so long if they knew what was going on.

Why did this accident happen?

The causes of this accident went well beyond the actions of this flight crew. As the crew turned toward Attawapiskat that night, they were turning into an area of total darkness, devoid of any ambient or cultural lighting—no town, no moon, no stars. With no way to maintain visual reference to the surface, they would have had to transition to flying by instruments. Although both pilots were qualified according to the regulations, they lacked the necessary night- and instrument-flying proficiency to safely complete this flight.

It was the role of the operator, Ornge RW, to ensure that the crew was operationally ready for that flight. However, the pilots had not received sufficient and adequate training to prepare them for the challenges they faced that night. Nor did the company's standard operating procedures (SOPs) address the hazards specific to night operations. Compounding this was the issue of insufficient resources, and inexperienced personnel in key positions, which led to some company policies being bypassed and, ultimately, a sub-optimal crew pairing that night.

Transport Canada (TC), meanwhile, was aware that Ornge RW was struggling to comply with regulations and company requirements. However, the training and guidance provided to TC inspectors led to inconsistent and ineffective surveillance. In particular, despite clear indications that Ornge RW lacked the necessary resources and experience to address issues that had been identified months before the accident, TC's approach to dealing with a willing operator allowed non-conformances and unsafe practices to persist.

• Like 2

Turn down enough flights and there will be a gun to your head (Career wise) Just a matter of time and you're done. You see it all the time in EMS in the states yet they still have crash after crash because there is always someone that will push safety just to please their bosses. You don't have to agree with me I respect that.