Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Rookie Move in Shearwater

coastdog

To the pilot who left me the anonymous note after blowing away my 206 intake plugs today in Shearwater, B.C. 

I really should have done a better job securing my gear and I apologize for the hazard and any inconvenience. I’m not exactly sure how things went south. My stuff had survived plenty of traffic over the past three days without incident ... but sometimes #### happens. You will be pleased to know that I didn't actually need the 'good luck' in finding my plugs as suggested in your note but located them quickly as they were less than 10 metres away and in plain sight. I will also be forever grateful that you took the time to write your vitriol and place it in my away kit so I would know just how "f#%ing dumb" I was. There has been some question on this from time to time over the course of my career and your input is truly appreciated. Certainly your time was better spent writing your note than picking up the items and removing them from the landing area.

Perhaps if you had stuck around I might have bought you a coffee. In 40 years of flying I have only ever met a small handful of pilots that felt they were above making mistakes (rookie or otherwise) and that maintained a zero tolerance attitude towards the rest of us mortals. I would have enjoyed getting to know you a bit and learning your secrets to achieving perfection. I think that regardless I’ll probably make a few more rookie moves before my enlightenment. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

I was out flying and actually have no idea who left the note and I'm pretty sure they didn't know me either. In any case the attitude wasn't called for. I like to think most of the pilots I know would have taken the high road and been civil about it. I'd would have more respect for them if they left me a card or called later to give me a piece of their mind (with perhaps an opportunity to defend myself) but instead it was kind of a spineless way to communicate. Regardless, I will be trying to mind my gear better.