Sat Phones

I'd like to find out about some different company policies on sat phones. Are they being provided by the companies or the individual pilot. I am of the opinion that if a pilot is operating outside of cell phone coverage, that pilot should be given a sat phone on the company's tab. This is not the case for myself and many others I've spoken with. What's the deal with the rest of you?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've flown for two companies that had them and for that exact reason and I think it's a great idea. I'll also forcast that they will become "standard fare" in the very near future. I heard this exact same discussion take place about whether Mobile Radio would be part of a given company's Wolfsberg radio eons ago..........years later it was SOP for the majority. Good subject Buster.

FYI All machines operated by the "Quebec Mafia" companies in Eastern Canada come equiped with a hand held Sat phone and a lap top. It's great! After you place the call for help you can play computer games while waiting to be picked up !

Seriously though its a valuable piece of equipment regardless of where you work!

Back to original question..'Out of cell coverage, the company should provide sat-tels???'

Sat-tels are great, no one denies this! They can be expensive! Are you looking for chit chat with the ol gal you just met at the Oil Can or for maintenace help when you break down? Two different topics here!

Per minute time on the Sat-tel is around $1.00 per minute. For crew personal use, time per week must be controlled, keeping in mind, one must stay in touch with their families. For company use, this becomes an invaluable tool for comunication. I am all behind company and personal use for the Sat-tel. We have approval for personal use on this phone. This will last until one indivdual ruins it for us all!

I'm not talking about sat phones for personal use. Most bases and camps have some form of communication whether its a land line or internet. This is about situations like the one I stated above. It's about safety. I'm trying to see what the industry standard is so I can make a case to the company I work for. It seems ridiculous to send an aircraft to remote locations with just a couple of radios when sat phones are available.

:) We feel that the use for the Sat phones we send with each a/c is absolutley both for business and pleasure. We want all our flight crews to be able to talk to there families as required while they are away. It's a small price to pay to help keep everyone happy... :D