Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Topic removed

Thank you for the comments and opinions. Some comments turned more to flying out of trim and not applicable to the concern in my topic, but still very good feedback for the topic for unporting in general. Thank you for taking the time to read this and responding. Take care till next topic :)

I may post in the future futher follow up

There was also this one in 2003:

http://www.bst-tsb.gc.ca/eng/rapports-reports/aviation/2003/a03w0194/a03w0194.asp

" Fuel unporting is a phenomenon whereby fuel flows away from the fuel pick up in the fuel tank, and will result in a power loss or engine failure due to fuel starvation. Unporting is a function of the amount of fuel available (usually very small quantities), the attitude of the helicopter, and sloshing of the fuel in the tank."

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, simpleton said:

Lol, you don't fly an aircraft low on fuel out of trim or in turbulence.

It's not a JetRanger "thing"....it's an "all aircraft models" thing. All aircraft can un-port fuel at a certain point.

When I was flying the 206 I was told that 20 gals was acceptable fuel some old timers would say 15 was good.  Just like in the Astar be on the ground at 20%. So who are we supposed to listen to? The fact of the matter is the 206 fuel gauge is famously inaccurate and should be regularly calibrated (for lack of a better word) I can see how this type of accident will be blamed on the pilot but in reality why hasn't bell come up with a better system? I feel for Helicopter who was PIC in this accident. I was told a long time ago that PIC stands for Punishment Is Coming. Also if the new standard is 30-40 Gal min you might as well sell the old bird as scrap metal or take out the back seat and have a really nice 2 seater. 

• Thanks 1

So if you lose one boost pump, unusable fuel is ten gallons. Having an engine quit at 20 gallons without having a boost pump light on (or flickering at least) would be very unusual in my opinion. 10 or 12 gallons indicated while in turbulence or out of trim could be nerve racking but flying at 20 gallons in a 206B should not be a worry. The optional fuel low light comes on at 20 gallons so Bell must feel some comfort that the aircraft will continue to run for a little while after that light illuminates.

• Thanks 1

I too was trained to be on the ground at 20gal and to be extra diligent to fly in trim at low fuel, like any aircraft. Anything below 20 GAL is pushing it imo. I’d rather have the fuel and not need it than need it and not have it.

procedure is land as soon as possible with the fuel light if equipped, so why would you carry on below 20gal without the light?

sorry about the accident. ****** situation.