What would you say the current state of the Canadian Helicopter industry is work wise?

Boom

9 hours ago, GrayHorizons said:

I've been too busy to respond to be quite honest.

Former and current pilots at Air Georgian, which annually handles 62,000 Air Canada Express-branded flights, allege it has a troubling approach to safety and maintenance, but the airline said it is one of the country’s most audited airlines, and the results of those evaluations put it in “the top tier” of Canadian operators.

In "Skies Mag " in the news section, an article posted by the Financial Post "Cabin Pressure"  shows the problem that Transport Canada is having with their monetary system "SMS". It reflects the same thing that is going on in the Helicopter Industry. 

If they do not wish to carry out their Mandate, why don't they close up shop?????

ISO 9000 can do a better job.

Several readers have been in touch with us about the effect low pilot wages may be having on the pilot shortage in Canada. We'd like to speak with more of you for an upcoming story.

Are you a pilot who believes low wages are the main reason for the shortage? Is the cost of flight training too steep to justify working for low entry-level wages? Would you be willing to share your story with us?

Are you an operator who would like to shed some light on what factors influence the...

See more in Skies Mag.

Edited by Blackmac
Brought over from Skies Mag

I think there are a number of factors (as is usually the case).  Work ethic is seriously lacking from generation to generation, making many new pilots effectively unemployable.  Pilots with work ethic are competing with a giant pool of other pilots for stagnant wages, worsening rotations and suspect maintenance practices.  After a few years working for low wages and only for a portion of the year, it's easy to see why many elect to move on to driving logging trucks, pushing paper, or whatever job they worked to save up for the much coveted CPLH.  Besides, who wants to be applying for a new job every winter?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Twin Helix said:

I think there are a number of factors (as is usually the case).  Work ethic is seriously lacking from generation to generation, making many new pilots effectively unemployable.  Pilots with work ethic are competing with a giant pool of other pilots for stagnant wages, worsening rotations and suspect maintenance practices.  After a few years working for low wages and only for a portion of the year, it's easy to see why many elect to move on to driving logging trucks, pushing paper, or whatever job they worked to save up for the much coveted CPLH.  Besides, who wants to be applying for a new job every winter?

Then there is the point where you find out flying isn't what the flight school brochure tells you. I left oil and gas pilot operating  to just go flying. One year(2012) I made  30 grand and couldn't collect EI because the company wouldn't take employees. Saw a lot of cool stuff but that only lasts so long. I'm back in oil and gas and if this dries up I'm too old and bitter to go back just flying. Life's too short to drink cheap beer

This industry has tanked. We can blame it all on ****** employers whom want to pay crappy wages. But the true fact is it is it is a matter of survival not just for pilots but also employers that employe the following. Pilots, AME, DOM, Chief pilot, Opps Manager, Accountants, Sales etc. The fact is there is no work. you can bid jobs for nothing to keep cash flow our fold up shop and let everyone go. 

Personally i get a charge out of all the major Oil and Gas as well as mineral companies. They all come in with high priced consultants telling them what they need. New iron high time pilots top notch SMS etc. Then they go out to bid and the only thing that truly matters is how low will you go. The oil and gas industry 15 years ago said they won't use 212's any longer. They want 412 10 years our newer. Yet they still use 212 and if you bid a 5 year contract with a 412 9 years old thats just fine its not 10 years old. The fact is the only give a dam about one thing how low will you go. 

Keep blaming the employers who re finance there homes etc to try and keep their companies alive. the fact is they would be better off closing up shop laying everyone off and go driving truck our running heavy equipment.

If that was directed at me Just Looking I never blamed the employer. I'm going to make 6 figures this year in a 44 for the  best employer I've ever worked for in my life. And the guy that I squeezed 30 grand out of owned a 7 figure home and all his machines outright. The only time I never saw  him was when I needed him to sign my invoice to be paid. Every other time he was making sure he got his 14+ hours out of me a day.

• Like 1