Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Helicopter crash in Ontario... 4 dead

Winnie

2 hours ago, Cosmo said:

First of all Condolences to the families and friends of this horrific accident. RIP.

As we all know every accident has multiple factors that make it an accident. 

Working around wires has many inherent risks.  Add in the spinning bits and it makes it even more dangerous.

Accidents in and around the wire environment can happen to non traditional anti-torque systems to:

A09P0353: EC-130B helicopter (C-GMVR) was performing power line sock line stringing operations in Manuel Canyon when the main rotor struck a steel tower. The pilot immediately flew away to the west of the power line and when clear of all ground crew operated the emergency mechanical hook release. He then made a precautionary landing on a nearby road. The helicopter sustained substantial damage. The pilot was not injured. 

Cool and is that helicopter approved for Class C loads?

An inconvenient truth is that if a "nose bag" was to depart the cabin of a 900, 902, 135, 120, or 130 in flight - this incident would most likely have been a near miss and the poor souls involved would be spending Christmas with their families. A NOTAR or Fenestron adds a level of safety which is often overlooked.  The 130 incident noted by Cosmo would have resulted in several fatalities if a conventional T/R helicopter was being used.

Alot of solutions offered that cost alot of money. But dont solve the root problem. 

How about simply removing the complacency and taking that few extra seconds to ensure the safety systems in place are followed. 

If you, me and him, have each others backs, then accidents like this should never happen. 

A helicopter does not exist that would mitigate every possible risk out there. Work with what you have to the highest safety level possibly.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, GrayHorizons said:

A lot of solutions offered that cost a lot of money. But don't solve the root problem.

Putting a cost factor on Safety is a NO,NO. Governments spend money on more useless things than can be counted. Hydro One spent how many millions on Gas Plants and then took them down (for political reasons). What about computerizing the medical system, and with  the Liberals the list goes on. There has been NO solution offered, other than the one I have stated. Everybody concerned should be aware that there is something definitely wrong with the system, complacency  has nothing to do with it. The blame starts at the top. IF YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND A RISK MANAGEMENT MATRIX, TAKE A COURSE!!! OR FIND ANOTHER JOB.

IF A SAFETY MANAGEMENT SYSTEM IS IN PLACE, RESPONSIBILITY FOR IT, STARTS FROM THE TOP, WHOEVER THAT IS?

How about simply removing the complacency and taking that few extra seconds to ensure the safety systems in place are followed. ANSWERED ABOVE

If you, me and him, have each others backs, then accidents like this should never happen.  USELESS COMMENT

A helicopter does not exist that would mitigate every possible risk out there. Work with what you have to the highest safety level possible. NO ANSWER REQUIRED.

Blackie...i get youre passionate about your views. However, youre delivery is ignorant of others and you have no class on explaining yourself in a polite manner. Therefore, even though i do agree with some of your comments i have no interest in your ramblings other than screening over them and going whatever. 

Im not sure im alone in my opinion.

Have a happy holiday and work on your presentation. Perhaps in the new year you can gain some new friends and allies.

• Like 8

17 hours ago, GrayHorizons said:

Blackie...i get youre passionate about your views. However, youre delivery is ignorant of others and you have no class on explaining yourself in a polite manner. Therefore, even though i do agree with some of your comments i have no interest in your ramblings other than screening over them and going whatever. 

Im not sure im alone in my opinion.

Have a happy holiday and work on your presentation. Perhaps in the new year you can gain some new friends and allies.

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO YOU AND YOURS AND HOPEFULLY IN THE NEW YEAR, YOU WILL APPRECIATE TAKING SOME KNOWLEDGE IN AND TRY AND UNDERSTAND THIS INDUSTRY AND QUIT LIVING IN DREAMLAND AND EXCEPT "STUPID IS AS STUPID WAS".

Mid-Canada Doppler Detection System : 1956 Royal Canadian Navy, try landing an HO4S3 (S-55) with frozen lateral hydraulics, common occurrence at -30 degrees, wrong helicopter for the job.

Mid-Canada Doppler Detection System:  1958 Spartan Air Services, coming back from Hopedale on the Labrador coast in a Piasecki H-21, did a full nose up rolled on our side and headed for the ground. Helicopter split in two and caught on fire. Crew spent the night out at -44 degrees. We all survived the crash and were picked up the next day and transferred to the Goose Bay Hospital, then I was transferred to the Montreal Neurological Hospital three days later with a severe concussion and frostbite.  The cause of the accident was failure of a control cable to the rear head (tandem rotor). My head injury came from smashing my helmet (which broke) on the forward transmission.  Transport Canada had an AWD concerning the cable problems on the H-21, but never sent it to Spartan Air Services. WHO IS TO BLAME???   

I could write a book on the stupidity of Transport Canada and most Government entities programs, that they should not be involved in, people are DEAD because of them.

If you think I am being ignorant, so be it, your opinion.  WHY GLAZE OVER THE FACTS?? YOU ALWAYS HAVE THE OPTION OF NOT READING MY POSTS!!! 

13 hours ago, xrkyle said:

There has been some discussion on how things are done with BC Hydro today. Here is a good article on changes they implemented shortly after the fatal crash in Cranbrook that took out a kid walking below almost 10 years ago now.

http://www.tdworld.com/features/bc-hydro-overhauls-helicopter-operations

Couldn't ask for a better POSTING, congratulations to BC Hydro for being REactive and PROACTIVE in all areas of SAFETY around Power Lines. You will also notice that the helicopter services are all contracted out to the commercial sector, including Air Ambulance Services. The BC government realize that all they should do is provide the resources (funding as required) and oversight and there would probably be less mishaps. GOOD ON THEM.