Endorsements & the Tax Man

Norm

It has been a long time since I have considered paying for an endorsement. But this winter I find myself interested in doing some training on a new type out of pocket. My question, can I go to any commercial operator willing to do the training and have them fill out my T11B tax form? Or does it specifically have to be a certified helicopter school to claim the education amount?

Thanks

14 hours ago, Norm said:

It has been a long time since I have considered paying for an endorsement. But this winter I find myself interested in doing some training on a new type out of pocket. My question, can I go to any commercial operator willing to do the training and have them fill out my T11B tax form. Or does it specifically have to be a certified helicopter school to claim the education amount.

Thanks

That's an excellent QUESTION, that only the tax man can answer, if any commercial operator can provide an endorsement and signed off by the training pilot, as is done know. Why can't the operator have the pilot seeking the endorsement have the pilot pay for it, Fill in the T11B tax form (operator) as a training course provided by the company.

Common practice in today's climate, is for the operator to provide the endorsement at their cost and have the Pilot sign an employment contract for a certain duration.

Going to a training school at best would have the same tax benefit, but not necessarily the same type of aircraft required for the endorsement.

As previously stated, any PILOT endorsed on a particular aircraft can train another Pilot and endorse his log book and sign paperwork for TC.

The most obvious association to take this to the TAX MAN is H-A-C, if they care.

This would eliminate employment bonds and provide training in the industry.   

This could also be provided under the  Apprenticeship Program, by enhancing employment opportunities. 

I will inquire with the CRA and post my findings. As you state Blackmac it would be a matter of convenience for me to approach a few commercial operators I have personal connections with vs traveling to an out of the way geographic location to find a school with the appropriate type.

Thanks for the informed responses.

Years ago, a training outfit in Whitecourt denied me a TL11B.  I had to get a detailed invoice from said training operation to get the tax deduction and refund from the CRA.  Make sure whoever is providing the training will provide the TL11B and save yourself the hassle.

• 2 months later...