Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Garmin 296 TOPO question

I have purchased a Garmin 296 with Topo Canada v4 on a 512mb data card.

However I can't seem to get any Topo maps to work outside of Alberta -  (north of Calgary up to Yellowknife is the area Topo maps work)

Going into the map information tab I can select - 50k Topo Canada v4, 50k west, 50k SE.

It looks like they are all on the card , Is there something I am missing? 

have tried to deselect Alberta and others to see if west will load up

does the 512mb card not have the storage ability? 

any help much appreciated 

• 1 month later...
On 2018-02-07 at 3:36 PM, robottxt said:

The cards probably full.  You'll need a USB 2 computer. The 296 is not backwards compatible with USB 3.  Download the garmin map installer and check the card. If you have the .img file for topo canada you can select the areas to upload.  

This is correct. If you don't have the Garmin Topo 4 softwar no your computer you'll need the installation CD: https://www.gpscity.ca/garmin-topo-canada-microsd-card