Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Chl And Kelowna Flightcraft Win Contract

Helilog feel free to ask for a rebate on your taxes. I have no doubt you guys work very hard and put in long hours.

I will say again as many military have in the past, we don't just fly, we'd like to but we are officers first. For me to instruct 5 hours in the cockpit there will be around 1 to 2 hours of pre-flight briefings and around an hour of post-flight brief. I will also have other administrative duties in the unit and it could make my day an easy 10 hours long at times. So when we do get into the machine it **** nice to have AC and yes, all the USN, USAF and US Army machines have AC.

We have heat in winter, why not AC in summer especially when there is no weight penalty for us since we don't use our machines for lifting.

Well sprach mein herr! I wouldn't want to do the BHS thing myself. :down: I know how dangerous I was as a student on the GD off level hill and at Grabber Green. :shock: Sitting in the machine trying to look non-chalante while waiting for the Stud to scare the crap out of you rates AC as far as I am concerned! :up:

Hey do you know what happens when the stud pushes the LEFT pedal all the way down before you can react just after you roll off the throttle?

Hear's a clue.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just want to emphasize that the military makes it a requirement to wear long johns and wool socks under the full length flight suit. Coupled with gloves and the helmet that makes things pretty hot, especially for the student having a helmet fire. The A/C might not be just for the benefit of the high time instructor types...

Having flown military in peacetime and in combat plus in the civilan world I'll take a shot here with my $ .02 worth since I come from all three "worlds". The military flying, training, etc., etc., etc. IS NOT what MOST civilan pilots THINK it is. They ASSUME that it is much like their own instruction and that basically the same types of flying are required......WRONG across the board.....the basic basics are the same and then they diverge. I wonder sometimes for example, what the average civilan R/W pilot considers "low level flying" to be in the "military world". I know what they think low level flying is in the civilan world and see no need for it except for the "cowboys" and I also know what their eyes look like when their *** gets strapped into a military R/W as an observer for the military version of "low level flying". How about the prairie dogs don't stick the F'in heads up too high or they loose'em......literally that low....and who has ever seen a prairie dog that stands 2' high?...at best. Try that flying for just 2-3hrs and you'll need the A/C just to remove the smell of sh*t from the flightdeck because someone may have filled his flightsuit perhaps......specially if he's a CIVILIAN observer. Aren't going to do that type of flying, so you're going to quit and find another job?......sorry buddy, your *** is in the military now, so if you don't like it write a letter and if your LUCKY the CO might even approve the transfer ONLY......because remember..... you can't quit THIS employer THAT easy. ****, this employer even has his own police, court, judges and his own real "lovely" military prison in Edmonton.

You're comparing "apples to oranges" as far as the training and daily ops go. The objectives are different, profit is not the "driving force", but attaining the objective with the least possible loss of men and materiale is and you train for that eventuality until you are ready to cry sometimes......and hope/pray that you'll never have to get to use it for real. One group is training hard to make money for the company, themselves, keep the customer reasonably happy and bring the a/c back at days end. The other group defines "profit" as the lives not lost because they were trained to do certain things to avoid that and with a bit of luck they were maybe successful....and By-God they even brought the a/c home with a couple of holes in it for "mechanical A/C" and maybe a M/R blade with some green marks on it and half a foot missing off the end of one blade.......and the customers are happy to buy you all the beer you can drink that evening because you gave them a chance to do the exact same thing tomorrow.......and gee whiz.....maybe with you again too!...how lucky can a guy get! (dripping sarcasm intended there).

Don't compare the two "worlds" guys because it's totally unfair to both groups. Don't worry either, the military guys get their eyes opened up many times when they enter the civilan "world". Been there done that and it took me a year to realize these civilan pilots/mechanics (ooops... engineers that is) weren't all crazy people that I had joined. :lol::lol:

I've taken some "liberties" here because my time was spent in the US Forces, but I haven't missed the target by much because many years ago I saw their training practises at Portage and they don't teach the majority of THAT at any civilan training school

:) Cap, my friend....I do agree with what you say ...to a point!......my ever so sarcastic warped sense of humour, starts to really kick in when it comes to senseless spending on "STUPID" and "MINDLESS" conveniences for a spoiled group of people (military or otherwise), that feel their hardship is nothing more than working up a "sweat" in a cockpit. Oh, forgive me ....I thought we could put that A/C money into something like, medical researce for cancer,or education for our kids future,,,,, :angry:

I have spent too much of my life being very hot or being very cold to regard AC as anything but a good thing.

That being said I am not expecting to ever fly another helicopter with it anytime soon! Nor have I asked my company to purchase AC - I dream in colour but not 3D -surround sound Technicolor. I have not sent an email asking the powers - that - be to donate the money they haven’t spent on AC to charity either – sorry helilog – it was too easy a shot!

One of the most tiring jobs I have ever done is power line patrol in the summer - especially westbound after lunch. Hot, tired, slow low level ect ect. A week solid of 8 hour days of that and you're hooped. :) - especially in an Astar with the old low back seats. Bird towing with the doors on was another. Low slow and hot for 10 hours a day. :up:

That is another of my pet peeves - how come my 1 million or even 4 million dollar helicopter has bad ventilation, uncomfortable seats and doors that don't fit (or is that part of the ventilation system). My **** car has better seats, a better heater, better AC (and the system doesn't weigh 300 lbs and cost $150,000 either) and the doors fit. It is also much more reliable and doesn't give me false oil low indications and the cruise control works - so does the radio! I haven't had an engine failure with it nor has the power steering quit and that is in ten years! RANT! RAVE! *****! GRIPE!

If I was a company owner with an a/c on a line patrol / gas pipeline contract I would install AC if I could afford it. It might even save a life.

In 30 years I got to fly only one a/c with AC (Twinstar) and it was sure nice.

Customers just couldn't believe it. They loved it.

I realize there is a penalty but I have been told that modern ac is a lot lighter than the old systems - anyone have some FACTS on that? A quick web search with Dogpile and I found http://www.keithproducts.com/ they give a weight of 100 lbs for AC for a SK-76. Huummm……… let’s see…… aircon or one of the rafts…….??

I think AC, like high skids, skis, longlines, floats or even Radar is just another option you may or may not want. Does it make you safer? More efficient? Does the customer want or require it?

We used to fly without GPS – didn’t exist – but if you climbed into an a/c today and there wasn’t one you sure would ask why not! Sure you can do the job without it but it sure is nice to have and a TSO one isn’t cheap.

Bye the bye I don't think the military has the option to ditch the long johns during the summer - I think it is required as part of the fire protection / flight suit / helmet / boots / gloves thing. Could be wrong however.

will somebody kindly wake me up when we can truly and honestly consider our canadian military personnel to be "spoiled" in any way, shape or form????

a/c may seem like a luxury in the okanagan valley (to SOME obviously)... i wonder whether the same thoughts would apply to neighborhoods like... say... AFGHANISTAN!!!???

I have not sent an email asking the powers - that - be to donate the money they haven’t spent on AC to charity either – sorry helilog – it was too easy a shot!

Sorry S.B....... cannot agree that something like cancer research and or education would be classed as a "charity". My emotional outburst should be directed more to the bureaucracies that make these kinds of decisions in regards to spending our taxpayers money. :down: