Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Chl And Kelowna Flightcraft Win Contract

" how come my 1 million or even 4 million dollar helicopter has bad ventilation, uncomfortable seats and doors that don't fit (or is that part of the ventilation system). My **** car has better seats, a better heater, better AC (and the system doesn't weigh 300 lbs and cost $150,000 either) and the doors fit. It is also much more reliable and doesn't give me false oil low indications and the cruise control works - so does the radio! I haven't had an engine failure with it nor has the power steering quit and that is in ten years!"

Sharkbait...easily answered....your car doesn't need to be certified as airworthy. That added option is always the killer. Unfortunately a $150000 AC System in a civilian helicopter (although a rip-off), is a bargain compared to what the military would pay for it.

Did somebody 'whizz' in yer cornflakes? Or are you just a bitter military hater? Don't hold back, tell us what you "really" think.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Helilog ------ Sorry bud, but you "rang my bell" on this one because I've lived long enough to watch our military become what I call a "borderline joke"...so hang on now.

Our Canadian military is "spoiled?" I've heard many descriptions used, but that's a new one to me. The ONLY part of the CAF that is "spolied" sir, is the folks at NDHQ. The place needs a large "enema" to reduce the size of some of the "supposedly high foreheads", their salaries, chauffeurs and perks. Of all the nations in the Free World OUR military ranks at or very near the top as far as General Staff Officers compared to Enlisted Ranks. There's nobody "further down the pole" who is "spoiled" in ANY department. Their equipment has been borderline "antique" for years and that started in the early 60's. That kept increasing until 1970 and then....... "oh boy, here we go now...hang-on".......the NATIONAL HEALTHCARE PROGRAM was brought into place. Nowadays the minute one discusses anything concerning a military purchase for ANYTHING, badly needed or not, most Canadians will say "You bet.....it obviously can't stay the way it is and we gotta do something for those guys". Then the budgets come down and that supposed increase has to compete against something to do with Healthcare and you get "Christ we can't take that away from Healthcare and besides any Canadian idiot knows whose always covered our *****, so what are we doing buying all these expensive "toys" so that the military can go play wargames someplace like....what's that place in Alberta they make a big hoopla about?.....oh yeah, Wainright I think they call it". "Spoiled?"........one year ago families of the 2nd PPCLI who were then stationed in my hamlet were visting the local Food Bank on occasion and I don't think they used the word "spoiled" unless it referred to being careful about the condition of the food they were getting. Those "visits" stopped IMMEDIATELY once it was reported in the local newspapers.....can't have the "grunts" and their families embarrassing the politicians. I'll give you some more "spoiled" facts:

(1) All C-130 Hercs grounded for cracks in wing-spars.....save two that were kept operational for S & R. Some of those same Hercs are older than most of the people reading this and I was 11 years old when the first one showed up.......and I just turned 61.

(2) out of the whole fleet of 20 year old F-18's, on any given day 30-35 are operational and the "electronics suites" in a large number are of no use operating with our Allies.....and we have to rent/lease/borrow/beg those updated ones from those folks so that we can hold up our end of responsibilities as a nation.

(3) Seakings that will have to "do us" until approximately 2011. Those same Seakings flew down Halifax Harbour when I attended Grade XII in Halifax, NS in 1963. There have been occasions already where the grandsons of those original pilots are now flying the same a/c. They even have to buy parts on the open world market because Sikorsky doesn't make those parts anymore. Do Sikorskys that old exist other places....sure they do......but they've been supllied with parts when needed and kept in great flying condition. You can't make chicken salad outta chicken sh*t.

........and there's a "concern" about A/C in some 206's for the comfort of some "spoiled" military "candy-*****?".....and/or it'll take money away from Heatlhcare needs maybe? Based on the above facts, I have to agree because they should consider themselves **** lucky that they ain't doing that training in Bell 47D Models with Franklin engines or Hiller 12A Models with the cyclic above their heads.....that's probably because 80/87 is getting hard to find. I'm even surprised that out Navy has modern engines in their Frigates because there's lots of coal in Cape Breton for the CHEAPER coal-fired engines and I think they could even afford to buy the shovels for the stokers too on their budget....maybe.

So see your MP about getting rid of a bunch of the $175,000/yr "spoiled" folks at NDHQ and and that'll pay for A/C for starters.

No debate on that one. The sub purchase prooves that. Subs that can't go under the polar ice cap either and last look we have 2-3 kms of that. I guess they expect that it'll all melt because of "global warming'. :lol:

Cap....you may have missed my post #42.....As my best friend just passed away after a prolonged bout with cancer, my seeing the lacking resources the hospital and medical professionals deal with got the better of me. It was certainly an emotional outburst that was not intended to the working soldier, I did digress on the above mentioned post and I certainly agree with what you said about the NDHQ. That was actually my intent, to direct it towards Ottawa..... if I offended any of the non- bureaucratic working class military personel....then please accept my heartfelt appology. H56

Whoa lads, ease off a bit. We've all got views an opinions but I personally wasn't criticizing any of your jobs. All I know is that it gets hot, AC will be nice. We've worked without it for 40 years and could go on but if they are putting it in we'll take it.

As for the long johns and dual layer, it has long been a preferred dress to protect against possible fire but it is up to the pilot to decide if it becomes more of a hindrance in extreme hot weather and he can choose to forego it. I just operated an S-61 in the Red Sea and Gulf of Oman a couple of years ago, temperatures easily reaching 40 to 46 celcius, even had a few days of 52 celcius on the flight deck and we carried on, no long johns and we only wore t-shirts vice the usual flightsuit and our Sea Kings have no AC and never will.

You cope, you work with what you've got. I don't doubt loggers put in long hours, I've seen how hard and long guys fly on fires and I don't envy any of you for those very long days you put in but if the company you work for came along and said hey dude, we're gonna look after you a bit more and install AC, better crash worthy seats and hire more ground crew to support you at no cost or detrement to you, well ****'s bells you'd take it too.

As far as training, we do train differently cuz we do different jobs. Personally I've taken the time to visit with operators to see how and why they operate the way they do so I would understand it better and learn some things off them that I might use where I work. It might serve some of you well to open your minds a little and come visit a military squadron, see how or why we operate the way we do and you will see that maybe the tax money you feel is being wasted is not being wasted at our units where our hard working men and women who serve and put their lives on the line are but more probably it is being wasted in places like higher HQ where they accept overcharging for services and materials. It annoys us just as much as you and don't forget, I pay my fair share taxes too my friends.

Any way you look at it, you are free to express your opinions because of millions of folks like us have defended your freedom to do so in the past, we have people doing it in the present and will continue to do it in the future so your kids can be free to express themselves too.

:)

Now, as for the contract in Portage. We have seven brand new King Air C90 being delivered beginning in Sept, the Jet Rangers begin upgrades at that time too and we should receive our Griffons beginning about June but they will still need to be upgraded.

Word on the street is that Allied Wings (KF and CHC) has no intentions of reinventing the wheel and look forward to hiring most if not all of the folks already working here.

There is a possibility that the Jet Ranger phase will eventually be taught by the contractor as well so maybe one of you guys will benefit from the AC while you teach autorotations at Grabber Green and I teach the advanced phase in my 412CF. Then we can do coffee and chat about our different worlds.

PS: FA, haven't had the full left pedal entering the auto but I have had a kid yard in full collective while in a vertical descent on the zero speed auto. A sure fire way to deplete one's Nr. :shock:

hp, several years ago when i still wrote for mr skinner's magazine, i did an interview with a sea king aesop who described the flight suits with external cooling.. the tube that circulated cool fluid (not beer, boys) to keep the internal temps down... do you guys no longer use that technology?? :hide:

hp, several years ago when i still wrote for mr skinner's magazine, i did an interview with a sea king aesop who described the flight suits with external cooling.. the tube that circulated cool fluid (not beer, boys) to keep the internal temps down... do you guys no longer use that technology??  :hide:

Wore 'em all out in almost a decade in the gulf. No money to replace them. They were pretty 'skanky' after haveing been worn in the undies of so many different people. "eww" :mellow: