Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Pilots leaving the industry

I understand that the comparison between a pilot & an electrician was just an example of a neighbours experience, but as far as the job description goes that’s like comparing a fisherman to an accountant, totally unrelated.

I have the benefit of choice, I’m qualified in aviation & Mining & often move between the 2 as my personal circumstances dictate. I can do that because I became trade qualified & used it to earn an income to pay for my pilots licence. At times I choose to leave the higher income of mining & go back to flying because I love it, I leave flying & go back to Mining because I need the money. I envy those who can stay in flying & survive financially, I don’t envy those who have no other skills/qualifications outside of flying. 

You can compare yourself to an electrician, or you can become an electrician. The choice is yours.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well.. it’s simple, drop what you are doing,  band together like the linemen and women do and don’t go back to work until all pilots across the nation get the same pay, same benefits and same quality of life. It seriously won’t change until a union is created and all of us are united. Every Pilot will have to sacrifice many things through the process and unfortunately this is where it all breaks down. These unionized organizations are a true brotherhood in all sense of the word!! We are not and it’s unfortunate....because we can be!!! The owners know it and laugh and laugh and laugh all the way to the bank!!!!! The union will, through due process with its members determine what is reasonable pay and if everyone in the nation is on the same page, the owners will have no choice but to pay what we are really worth.  In return, all owners will have no choice but to increase their rates and industry will have to pay for it!!! There is always a solution!!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

On 2018-03-08 at 5:14 AM, freck said:

Yeah fixed wing seem's to be huge right now. The years of low pay and horrible schedules seemed to create a shortage over time. Starting to see the same in rotary. Unfortunately I'm to old to take advantage of another boom if it were to happen.:)

How old is too old?

If you don’t like your career then get a new one.  I’m tired of hearing about how a plumber or an electrician gets paid more than you.  If you are good at pulling wire or augering out ****** pipes then go for it.  Doctors get paid more too, policeman, firefighter as well.

You have chosen to fly as a career, if you keep working then you’ll find more pay and stability.

Also, stop comparing your entry level salary to a tradesman who has been no doubt busting his *** for the last 20 years.  

Want to get rich quick with no training or education then become an online crypto trader.

Its like all these government workers complaining about not getting paid, all talk and no walk.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jullian said:

I am not saying that I should earn more or even as much as an electrican. My point was helicopter pilot wages seem to have stagnated in the last ten or so years. It has not even kept up with inflation. In this regard I am making less than I was ten years ago.

That could be because this industry is in the tank. Operators work for less now then they were 10 years ago. Them union companies people talk about are the same companies demanding cheaper rates on a daily basis. 

• Like 1

On 3/23/2018 at 1:10 PM, robottxt said:

Pilots doing extremely high risk power line work, get paid less than half what a linemen does.   Being a dope on a rope shouldn't be 2.5x more than what the pilots earns.

Its not just the linesman on the rope. The ones on the skid or in the bucket all make more. And don't even start on a crane operator. I one made that comment on a job about the difference in pay between the two after a discussion with a crane operator the guy looked at me and said well just look at the responsibility a crane operator has i looked at him with a blank stare and he responded ya disregard that one.  Its a good thing I do this for the enjoyment as once I get my self through the BS I still really do enjoy flying after 16 years. Ive also been luck enough to maintain full time good paying employment.But the industry is far from paying enough to justify what the risks and responsibility is let alone the legal BS thats breathing down our necks waiting for us to slip. Why do i enjoy this again :huh: 

• Like 2