Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Pilots leaving the industry

About 20 years ago I did some instructor refresher training and a study was quoted that had been done a few years before that,  It followed up a large number of people who had been issued helicopter licenses.  It identified that approximately 1/3 of the group never got a job, 1/3 of them lasted less than 5 years and got out and only 1/3 were working as pilots more than five years later.  Wonder what a similar study would show for the last decade.

10 hours ago, Icewind said:

About 20 years ago I did some instructor refresher training and a study was quoted that had been done a few years before that,  It followed up a large number of people who had been issued helicopter licenses.  It identified that approximately 1/3 of the group never got a job, 1/3 of them lasted less than 5 years and got out and only 1/3 were working as pilots more than five years later.  Wonder what a similar study would show for the last decade.

9 out of 7 people don't understand fractions!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

22 hours ago, Icewind said:

I think the numbers of 100 hr. pilots finding employment 20 years ago would probably have been around 15%, far less now. Hope I passed the math quiz🙄

14 hours ago, ramen rider said:

100hr pilots not finding work!  ####, I'm a 700 hour pilot and I can't find work!

Leave?  How about, just don't join in the first place.  This industry sucks!

I don't quite understand that you can't find a job with 700 hours, I can think of at least 3 operators that can't find light/intermediate pilots right now. You might want to sharpen up that resume and make a few more calls. Maybe don't disclose you opinion of the industry though...

1 hour ago, hybrid said:

I don't quite understand that you can't find a job with 700 hours, I can think of at least 3 operators that can't find light/intermediate pilots right now. You might want to sharpen up that resume and make a few more calls. Maybe don't disclose you opinion of the industry though...

I applied to a dozen positions all over the country this season and got only two responses, and no interviews.

,...but yeah, maybe I should take "this industry sucks" off of my resume? :)