Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Mali, DND sending armed 412's to protect our new Chinooks.

DND buy new C-7, Cyclones and Chinooks, send them to war torn areas and protect them with modified Vietnam era armed helicopters. WHAT A LAUGH!!!!!!

Afghanistan, where Canada once was, is now getting BlackHawk U-60 helicopters given to them by the UN.

Afghan crews to fly missions with Black Hawk helicopters
glyph.jpg Source: thecourier.com

I wonder when DND is going to smarten up and get some real armed helicopters. I guess they never heard of shoulder fired Sam Missile's. They can take out those so called armed Griffon's with no problem, including the Chinooks.

I flew in that area with the World Health (Upper Volta/Burkina Faso), Ivory Coast, Niger, Ghana, etc.

On March 26, 2018 at 5:57 PM, Blackmac said:

DND buy new C-7, Cyclones and Chinooks, send them to war torn areas and protect them with modified Vietnam era armed helicopters. WHAT A LAUGH!!!!!!

Afghanistan, where Canada once was, is now getting BlackHawk U-60 helicopters given to them by the UN.

Afghan crews to fly missions with Black Hawk helicopters
glyph.jpg Source: thecourier.com

I wonder when DND is going to smarten up and get some real armed helicopters. I guess they never heard of shoulder fired Sam Missile's. They can take out those so called armed Griffon's with no problem, including the Chinooks.

I flew in that area with the World Health (Upper Volta/Burkina Faso), Ivory Coast, Niger, Ghana, etc.

What kind of helicopter did you fly when you were there?

Bell 204B and Hughes 500.

The day I left Upper Volta and was heading to Bamako, we had a fuel stop on the border prior to entering the Ivory Coast. The 204 was approximately 50 ft in the air when three (3) military types came out of jungle pointing AK-47's at the belly of the 204. I proceeded to land the machine, shut down and get out of the helicopter. There was a World Health Observer who always travelled with me (actually a Prince from Mali) who was a well educated, by the French in France. The military types who had NO communications with the Capital of Upper Volta, were not aware of who or what we were doing.  SO after about an hour of discussion with my observer and checking over the helicopter they understood we were no danger to them or Upper Volta, with our 1000 Litre insecticide tank in the back of the helicopter and the booms attached.

The Country of  Upper-Volta was re-Named Burkina-Faso by the time we returned a week later.