Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Wire Srtike

Cheap, all materials including motor and gear box locally available, with a crane, one person can manufacture and install in one day. (14 hours)

That's true but you also forgot to mention that they're very dangerous, slower than the second coming of christ and a severe pain in the a** when it's windy outside.

You can install very big roll up (shop) doors these days for the same price and they're a lot more reliable, they open & close much faster and there's no worry about one falling on an A/C or worse, an employee.

Of course, we're talking helicopter hangars, not fixed wing.

(we had a 30' by 16' and a 12' by 14' installed for 14k 3 years ago)

Great Slave has a very big one on their hangar in Yk.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Bullet Remington
That's true but you also forgot to mention that they're very dangerous, slower than the second coming of christ and a severe pain in the a** when it's windy outside.

You can install very big roll up (shop) doors these days for the same price and they're a lot more reliable, they open & close much faster and there's no worry about one falling on an A/C or worse, an employee.

Of course, we're talking helicopter hangars, not fixed wing.

(we had a 30' by 16' and a 12' by 14' installed for 14k 3 years ago)

Great Slave has a very big one on their hangar in Yk.

Helidude:

Valid observations, and I concur based on some of the doors I've seen. That's why I built my own. Mine is 52' X 18.5'. Goes up slicker tha a snake snot sliding down a slippery slope, sideways on a Sunday...witha tail wind. I put a 5:1 adapter on mind, goes up fast for the first 14 feet then the limit switches kicks in and slows it down. The door runs in a continuos enclosed channel on the outside so that it can't 'pop out". I also have disable switches on the dog locks so the motor can't be activated with the door locked closed.

So wind wise, the Pinky Engineer and I calculated it's good in winds up to and including 100 klicks. The door is braced internally up the ying yang. i have opened it in winds at 70 G 80 and had no problems with it.

Also concur about the self induced drop feature. That's why I am installing inertia dog locks on the door. If the door falls, which I know will never happen, ( I have 8 doubled 15,000 lbs straps on it) the inertia dog locks will fly out and engage arrestor stops bult into the steel columns on each side of the door opening.

I also moved the circuit breaker from on top of the motor, to the inside wall of the shop, away from the hanger. That way, should someone blow the circuit breaker for some reason, they have to let me know.

ToTal cost of the door, including four 10 lb rolls of MIG wire, the square tubing, motor greabox, adapter, limit switches, straps, and locks dogs, $3,795.00 Of course I have yet to insulate it, with in floor heat, don't see aneed for it!!

I did install roll-up doors leading from outside into the workshop, and from the workshop into the hanger. Total cost of those two doors, $4,000. and change!

By the way, that door Adam and the boys installed, is that a new one? When I was there about 4 years ago the door wasn't all that big. Had no trouble getting a 204 in but it wasn't a heck of alot wider than that??