Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

TRK Helicopters Heli Ski Accident

On 5/6/2018 at 4:13 PM, Winnie said:

Perhaps we need to do more on the training side when we do annual training. Servo transparency isn't exactly new, and lots of people have paid a big price proving it...

The pilot was an instructor. Though if it is the pilot I’m thinking of. He did his instruction in the USA. The low timer building hours teaching the low timer how to fly. Even though the instructor has very little grasp of landing anywhere except at the airport.

I was an instructor in the US as well, and find I'm quite capable of doing all kinds of bush work. 

I think personally that the instruction in Canada in particular has strayed waaay to far into the operational side, and way to little focus is put on the basics. And basics is flying a rectangular pattern at a proper altitude whether to a confined or an airport. and maintaining altitude, and reading a paper chart. Not longlining. at 100 hours a guy (or gal for that matter) should be able to do a basic radio call, do all emergencies, and fly the aircraft to certain standards. That seems to have slipped these days.

if you don't want to read, you will not learn, (Not aimed at you Diaper_Pin) Thus others mistakes will go by the wayside and you are no new experiences richer.

1 hour ago, Winnie said:

I was an instructor in the US as well, and find I'm quite capable of doing all kinds of bush work. 

I think personally that the instruction in Canada in particular has strayed waaay to far into the operational side, and way to little focus is put on the basics. And basics is flying a rectangular pattern at a proper altitude whether to a confined or an airport. and maintaining altitude, and reading a paper chart. Not longlining. at 100 hours a guy (or gal for that matter) should be able to do a basic radio call, do all emergencies, and fly the aircraft to certain standards. That seems to have slipped these days.

if you don't want to read, you will not learn, (Not aimed at you Diaper_Pin) Thus others mistakes will go by the wayside and you are no new experiences richer.

Bro...you're an instructor from the US??  How do you not know the FAA definition of Hover Taxi & Air Taxi??  Seriously...

Keep on practising "flying a rectangular pattern at a proper altitude and reading paper charts"  Good Luck...

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Diaper_Pin said:

The pilot was an instructor. Though if it is the pilot I’m thinking of. He did his instruction in the USA. The low timer building hours teaching the low timer how to fly. Even though the instructor has very little grasp of landing anywhere except at the airport.

Did you read the report?

"The pilot held a commercial pilot licence for helicopters and airplanes, with a multi-engine land and sea rating. He had accumulated over 14 000 total flight hours in various airplanes and helicopter models. His previous flight experience also included the ownership of a flight school, and experience as a helicopter flight instructor."

Doesn't sound like a "low timer building hours" to me.  I would guess with over 14,000 hours he has seen more than just airport landings.

a16p0045.pdf