Over Capacity

As a pilot, any higher time 350 that I've flown felt like $hit. That's my opinion. You are correct, the maintenance standards may have something to do with it, but...at the time...I though that the best in the business were looking after the old gals.

No offence JetBox, I only expect that you'd put up a scrap :up: game on !

as I recall the high time A star was about 15,000 hrs . one of the Hawaian machines I think. Are there many Bell 206  with over 10K hours ?.

Ask CHL, they have a fleet of them. Of the more than 35 JetRangers I've flown, only one had less than ten thousand hours, AHR, and it was in the high nine thousands when I had her. Quite a work horse that 206.

I've flown a 206 with more than 22,000 hrs and a Sikorsky with more than 46,000 hours on her airframe.

RH

Come on 407D!!!!!!!!

You know **** well that if a helicopter "feels" like ####, it's in dire need of some maintenance, regardless of brand name and model. I've flown in brand new Astars that had spent four months on seismic and felt like they were ready to come apart, and I also flew in pretty darn old ones (remember MEY?) and they flew smooth as glass.

This isn't another "Astars vs Longrangers" argument. The simple fact of the matter is that any helicopter can last forever if it's maintained properly.

I though that the best in the business were looking after the old gals.

Obviously, what you thought was " the best in the business" wasn't!!!!!

Mark C-FRDJ Serial No 63

Common Name Bell Model 206B

Base Of Op. - Country CANADA

Base Of Op. - Province British Columbia

Base Of Op. - Location Fort Nelson

File Location Edmonton Basis for Eligibility for Registration Type Certificate - H92

Type of Registration Commercial

Category Helicopter Weight (Kgs) 1451

Manufacturer Bell Helicopter Company

Year of Manufacture 1967 Year Imported 1991

Country of Manufacture U.S.A.

Owner Registration

Owner Registered Since 2000-09-08 Last Certificate of Registration Issued 2004-07-27

Engine Turbo Shaft Number of Engines 1

Owner Information

Name ( 1 of 1 ) Guardian Helicopters Inc. Mail Recipient Yes

Address 538 Hurricane Dr. Springbank Airport

City Calgary Province Alberta

Postal Code T3Z 3S8 Region Prairie and Northern

this seems to be the granddaddy of all jet rangers , anyone know how many hours on this baby ?

Mark C-GMEY Serial No 1004

Common Name Aerospatiale Type Certified Model AS 350B

Identification Plate Model AS350C TRANS D TRANS B

Base Of Op. - Country CANADA

Base Of Op. - Province Quebec

Base Of Op. - Location Les Cedres

File Location Dorval Basis for Eligibility for Registration Type Certificate - H83

Category Helicopter Weight (Kgs) 1950

Manufacturer Societe Nationale Industrielle Aerospatiale

Year of Manufacture 1979

Country of Manufacture FRANCE

Owner Registration

Owner Registered Since 2000-12-07 Last Certificate of Registration Issued 2001-09-17

Owner Information

Name ( 1 of 1 ) Canadian Helicopters Limited/Helicopteres Canadiens Limitee Mail Recipient Yes

Address 1215 Montee Pilon

City Les Cedres Province Quebec

Postal Code J7T 1G1 Region Quebec

and the oldest as 350 , so bell had at least 12 years of extra service .

Mark C-FRDJ Serial No 63

Common Name Bell Model 206B

Base Of Op. - Country  CANADA 

Base Of Op. - Province  British Columbia

Base Of Op. - Location  Fort Nelson 

File Location Edmonton Basis for Eligibility for Registration Type Certificate - H92 

Category Helicopter Weight (Kgs) 1451

Manufacturer Bell Helicopter Company

Year of Manufacture 1967 Year Imported 1991

Country of Manufacture U.S.A. 

Owner Registration

Owner Registered Since 2000-09-08 Last Certificate of Registration Issued 2004-07-27

Owner Information

Name ( 1 of 1 ) Guardian Helicopters Inc. Mail Recipient Yes

Address 538 Hurricane Dr. Springbank Airport

City Calgary Province Alberta

Postal Code T3Z 3S8 Region Prairie and Northern

this seems to be the granddaddy of all jet rangers , anyone know how many hours on this baby ?

Mark C-GMEY Serial No 1004

Common Name Aerospatiale Type Certified Model AS 350B

Identification Plate Model AS350C TRANS D TRANS B 

Base Of Op. - Country  CANADA 

Base Of Op. - Province  Quebec

Base Of Op. - Location  Les Cedres 

File Location Dorval Basis for Eligibility for Registration Type Certificate - H83 

Category Helicopter Weight (Kgs) 1950

Manufacturer Societe Nationale Industrielle Aerospatiale

Year of Manufacture 1979

Country of Manufacture FRANCE     

Owner Registration

Owner Registered Since 2000-12-07 Last Certificate of Registration Issued 2001-09-17

Owner Information

Name ( 1 of 1 ) Canadian Helicopters Limited/Helicopteres Canadiens Limitee Mail Recipient Yes

Address 1215 Montee Pilon

City Les Cedres  Province Quebec

Postal Code J7T 1G1 Region Quebec

and the oldest as 350 , so bell had at least 12 years of extra service .

Widgeon: I worked on RDJ for a few month a while back. low SN, reasonable hours on the airframe tho. Has been pretty well looked after. popular with the pilots because of the small instrument panel and light Gross weight. I think it was less than 1800 lbs. Lots of strange parts on the very early machines: cowls, air vents, Linear actuators ect ect.

A non pressurized airframe's life is on "condition" and as such can go on forever, depending on the maintenance carried out.

The components attached to such airframe are the only items with an expiry date, which is governed by time or condition.

I do beleive you will find that the Alahoot 11 and the 111 and then the Lama, made far better bush machines than the present day so called modern helicopters, including EC products.

It seems that most helicopters today are executive bush aircraft.

Can't seem to make up there mind on what to manufacture.

Don

I do not know where it is now, but CF-RBR (registration at that time) was #1 206 in Canada and it could well be the grandaddy of them all hour-wise. In 1974 I worked next to one Smitty Pruner and he was flying her at the time and the Journey at that time was 16,000+. It's empty weight was the norm for the time, which was 1,485lbs. They gradually worked their way up to about a norm of 1,525lbs. The year that Bell gave the contract for the fuselage to Beech and stopped their production by Augusta, the empty weights increased by 100lbs immediately. CF-YLA was one of the older type and CF-QCB was the first of the newer Beech-built models in Canada. From there on the 206 gradually lost the very items that were her strong points to many. Helilog is correct that the older ones were "stump-pullers" compared to the later and present ones and at cruise in the older ones, 125-130MPH was not unusual. Two 45gal drums and 25-30gals indicated was norm and that would get you some distance and all without much effort. So could the older 206's work next to the newer 206's?.......you bet they could and "blow their doors off also" in the lifting and speed departments.. The MAIN difference between the two would be their abilities in the 'rockpile' and that was alleviated in great part for the older one by alcohol injection.