Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

UH-1 Drag Brace

onemorepilot

Part V - Standard 571 - Types of Work (d) Work that disturbs engine or flight controls ....accomplished, by at least two persons...etc

While drag braces and mast nuts are debatable as being a flight control, and an ICC is perhaps not required for them, its still not a bad idea to perform one yourself as the pilot as it is your sense of safety that is important. I have always had the second set of eyes check out the installation, its how I was taught.

My reasoning on them being debatable falls in it's most basic form. once installed and safetied, they are now a fixed item, that do not move as a flight control by the input of a pilot. Is that the best answer? no, would it hold up in court? who knows really.

regardless, beyond that interpretation, it falls into check lists from the maintenance manuals. I don't have any Bell stuff on hand so I can't reference them, but what I do see for semi equivalent parts on an AS350 is that you're signing for the starflex bolt installations and for the safetying of them under chapter 62 as those steps are specific. Not much different than a mast nut and lock or a drag damper I'm assuming, there may be disagreement. So the engineer who checked them off as complete is taking responsibility for that task. Pitch links on a 350 are clearly a flight control to me, but they are also under chapter 62. They too have specific instructions on torque and safety. 

Interesting interpretation of of ICC requirements.

The part that caught my attention is "I always have the second set of eyes check it. It's how I was taught."

We live in a world that requires us to sign off and do things by the book but as experienced mechanics we also know what is important.

As a footnote, I have also been a certified mechanic for as long as I've been flying. I have always refused to do my own inspections in the field. My reasoning is that I look at it every day. At inspection time, I want the second set of eyes.

• Like 1