Sign in to follow this  
TheReaper

What is going on at delta helicopters?

Keep going, I luv reading this shyte. One of the reasons I quit this backstabbing business a year ago, and became rich again. Hope the accountant is reading this. I miss captain crusty. Where r u JR

I had a great season with Delta last year! Made plenty of money flying good, well maintained equipment. Just sent an email  to the CP to make plans for next year, which will be 10 in a row with them. The work's not all that glamorous, but it's steady, pays reasonably well, and the equipment's in good nick. For the most part it's a good crew, and some of the folks are quite exceptional.

Delta's not perfect, and as a long term employee I know that better than most. I've seen people come and go, and some have taken their sour grapes with them. Sometimes that just can't be helped.

The bottom line is that Delta is a stable, profitable company. This means they must meet the needs of multiple stakeholders including TC, customers, employees, and the owners. Not an easy juggling act. It also means that they give good opportunities to Canadian (and other) pilots, engineers and apprentices. What people do with those opportunities is up to them.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

If it’s such a good outfit why do they have a year round posting looking for people? And no it’s not so they can get the best people applying like some of you may be thinking.  We all know the reason, it’s the same reason you never see some companies looking for people cuz they don’t have high turnover.  It always seems to be the same companies looking for people, there’s a reason.  Why did half a dozen engineers quit there within a month? Obviously it’s not how dimit is portraying it.  Not saying it’s a bad or good place I don’t know, but the fact that there is a thread on the forum can’t be a good thing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

dont even make the assumption that an ad on a site is an indication they are always looking.

Ive applied to ad's, and to be told they currently aren't looking, but it's easier and cheaper to just leave the ad in place. Besides, you never know who will randomly answer your ad, might be a guy with better qualifications you hoped to have the first time and you can let some fairy princess with high maintenance go when the contract ends

Yeah it's ****** for someone with hopes and dreams, but it's definitely not indicative of a revolving door of unhappy ex employees

My opinion, if you work at Delta and are happy then great, if you're not, move on. find your greener grass

Why all the drama ??? give it a rest, it's the dramatic fairy princess' who are ruining the very industry they claim to love. Its obvious they dont. 

• Like 3

Freck: I worked pretty hard this summer, not really much of a "shift" per se. It was my first time in many years working seasonally, so I wanted to make a lot of hay while the sun shone. I appreciate that Delta gave me the opportunity to "go for it".

For years the "usual" summer shift has been 4-weeks-on/2-weeks-off, but when it gets busy all plans go to the wayside. Longer breaks seem to come in the winter. There have been other arrangements made, depending upon personnel and circumstances.

Because they don't work much in the mountains, or the Arctic, or moving drills, or slinging bags, or skiing, or other glamorous stuff like that, Delta is seen by some pilots as a stepping stone. Get from 1000hrs to 3000hrs and move along to the next thing. That's probably the main reason for pilot turnover and the year-round job posting. There are also folks who stick around for a while, or longer, appreciating the steady work and decent pay cheques.

Toughtimes: For sure, there are a few stellar companies out there with little or no turnover.

• Like 1

I almost worked for Don...about 40 yrs ago I received a reply from them to get out to High Level asap and a job awaited. I packed up and drove out from Ontario and sat in his living room only to be told if I had only arrived a day ago I would have been hired   sure...probably no great lose. I meet up with him again at an Hai...might have been in Orlando...he doesn't remember me of course and then asks me if I wanted a job...you can guess what my reply was...totally agree with GreyHorizons.....

Pretty sure the reason they have a continuous add is that in order to apply for work visas they have to show that they are looking for Canadian pilots. 

Same reason adds show up in weird places online and not in the employment section here...

• Like 3

Wizard: I'm pretty sure that if Delta could hire enough Canadian pilots with goods hands, feet and attitudes, who met or were close to the 1000hr requirement of a significant number of their customers, they wouldn't hire foreigners. From what I hear the process for foreign hires is a total pain in the ***. I think your gripe should be with Contrails, not Delta.

DGP: The demand for experienced pilots has changed the industry quite a bit, and Delta has changed too. It doesn't really make sense to compare today's Delta with the Delta of 40, 30, 20 or even 10 years ago. That notwithstanding, this is aviation and pilot's can still get their hopes and dreams dented, at Delta and almost any other operator in the country.

Anyways, that's enough from me. I'll come back for a visit in another few months. See ya'll!