Sign in to follow this  
TheReaper

What is going on at delta helicopters?

17 hours ago, dimit said:

Wizard: I'm pretty sure that if Delta could hire enough Canadian pilots with goods hands, feet and attitudes, who met or were close to the 1000hr requirement of a significant number of their customers, they wouldn't hire foreigners. From what I hear the process for foreign hires is a total pain in the ***. I think your gripe should be with Contrails, not Delta.

DGP: The demand for experienced pilots has changed the industry quite a bit, and Delta has changed too. It doesn't really make sense to compare today's Delta with the Delta of 40, 30, 20 or even 10 years ago. That notwithstanding, this is aviation and pilot's can still get their hopes and dreams dented, at Delta and almost any other operator in the country.

Anyways, that's enough from me. I'll come back for a visit in another few months. See ya'll!

I feel I'd be remiss if I didn't ask, does Delta develop pilots to 1000 hours or primarily try to recruit them?  If any operator takes the easy way out and hires non-Canadian pilots they're kind of fueling a self-fulfilling prophecy of a shortage of Canucks with enough hours.  I'm the sort who commits to the guy who develops me as long as they treat me fairly.  Too many guys chasing an extra few bucks rather than sticking with an operator who treats them well beyond the pay cheque.

• Like 2

On 11/13/2018 at 9:36 PM, dimit said:

Freck: I worked pretty hard this summer, not really much of a "shift" per se. It was my first time in many years working seasonally, so I wanted to make a lot of hay while the sun shone. I appreciate that Delta gave me the opportunity to "go for it".

For years the "usual" summer shift has been 4-weeks-on/2-weeks-off, but when it gets busy all plans go to the wayside. Longer breaks seem to come in the winter. There have been other arrangements made, depending upon personnel and circumstances.

Because they don't work much in the mountains, or the Arctic, or moving drills, or slinging bags, or skiing, or other glamorous stuff like that, Delta is seen by some pilots as a stepping stone. Get from 1000hrs to 3000hrs and move along to the next thing. That's probably the main reason for pilot turnover and the year-round job posting. There are also folks who stick around for a while, or longer, appreciating the steady work and decent pay cheques.

Toughtimes: For sure, there are a few stellar companies out there with little or no turnover.

Ahhhhhhhh I wonder what the low time pilots there are doing? All the contractors have been laid off so I’m sure they will be more eager to start bringing up some young guys.  By 4 weeks on and 2 weeks off you must mean 35/7. Hard to keep a schedule when you have 25 machines and 27 pilots.  I’m sure by them giving you the opportunity to “go for it” as you put it you mean they ran you right to 42/5.  I’m not sure I would call working in the Arctic glamourous as you mentioned, you obviously haven’t been there in either of the two seasons it has, summer or winter.  Could there be a reason why some people stay there for a while? I have an idea why, and let’s be honest the pay is still from 84’.  Maybe the company needs to stop thinking of itself as a stepping stone for pilots and start investing in this industry, in my opinion they are one of the reasons why the industry is where it is.  Always looking for the cheap help and not realizing when they have good people.  There is a reason why people leave and yes some search for the perfect job and those people will never find it cuz it don’t exist, but a company that has steady work, pays well and respects their employees and doesn’t think of them as parts in a machine will never have to go looking for people.  The key fundamentals are missing that’s why it’s mostly the same companies looking for people and have threads on the forums.   I don’t buy the whole “oh it’s cheaper to run an add all year long” or “Maybe that magic person will apply” if your looking for a cheaper way to find people your going to get cheap people applying.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I heard lots of good stories from my sisters boyfriends best friends cousin who works there, my personal favourite is one guy swung his tail over a whole tree planting crew, had em scattering like cocharoaches when the lights come on.  

• Haha 1

And you Mr Reaper can likely start your own company and offer all the great attributes that you believe you're entitled to. Its really that simple.

Set up shop in Delta's turf and show them you mean business...wash them out and drive them under.

1 hour ago, GrayHorizons said:

And you Mr Reaper can likely start your own company and offer all the great attributes that you believe you're entitled to. Its really that simple.

Set up shop in Delta's turf and show them you mean business...wash them out and drive them under.

It’s not about setting up shop and driving anyone under, obviously the point was completely lost with you.  It’s that mentality right there is why this industry is where it is.   I don’t think that being respected and paid accordingly are crazy attributes to ask for.  And if you think those are crazy things to ask for I know exactly the person you are and can only imagine how you have shaped this industry  with your great ideas. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, TheReaper2.0 said:

It’s not about setting up shop and driving anyone under, obviously the point was completely lost with you.  It’s that mentality right there is why this industry is where it is.   I don’t think that being respected and paid accordingly are crazy attributes to ask for.  And if you think those are crazy things to ask for I know exactly the person you are and can only imagine how you have shaped this industry  with your great ideas. 

so, when does the Reaper take responsibility?

looks like the Reaper only likes to lay blame and fault everyone else.

what are you doing other than whining and moaning on a website forum? 

Take responsibility for what? His opinion? I think he did...

I'll throw my two cents in. Delta has been around a long time and many people have started/worked there. Delta is challenged the same as all companies in regards to schedule, money and work. Retaining and attracting staff is always going to be difficult especially with a movement towards lifestyle being a priority.

Bottom line is if it works for you great and if not find something that does. Delta or any other company doesn't owe it to anyone to change their business plan for employees. It obviously works for them. If they can attract and retain quality people with the way they have it set up then all the power to them I think. But I guess that is really what's being questioned here... Not anyone's business but there's.

Screenshot_20181116-123531_1.png

• Haha 1

His opinion, like everyone else's on a public forum, including mine is worth ####. We all know this.

He wants respect, but doesnt earn it. You cant earn respect on a forum, (except when two or three drinking buddies all like your post). You earn respect by delivering a product. No idea who Reaper is or what hes about, except his posts give a good idea. None of which have offered much other than trolling. If you want more money, that's up to you to show your skills, be humble waiting for the respect, and get paid. If the money doesnt come, you failed. Plain and simple. You settled for less. If you're that good that cheap ads that attract cheap labor dont apply to you, then you're set. You dont need to lower your standards to mid slinging.  The trolling shows this is not the case. 

9 hours ago, GrayHorizons said:

His opinion, like everyone else's on a public forum, including mine is worth ####. We all know this.

He wants respect, but doesnt earn it. You cant earn respect on a forum, (except when two or three drinking buddies all like your post). You earn respect by delivering a product. No idea who Reaper is or what hes about, except his posts give a good idea. None of which have offered much other than trolling. If you want more money, that's up to you to show your skills, be humble waiting for the respect, and get paid. If the money doesnt come, you failed. Plain and simple. You settled for less. If you're that good that cheap ads that attract cheap labor dont apply to you, then you're set. You dont need to lower your standards to mid slinging.  The trolling shows this is not the case. 

I’m not sure if by offering his opinion exactly means he’s trolling.  Your post is more of an example of trolling not so much his. But aside from that I would tend to agree with asking for respect and being paid accordingly isn’t a lot to ask.  He didn’t mention anything about putting anyone out of business, that again was you.  Seems like you’re the type of person who would ride a guy til they are fed up and quit,  then says he was a pretty good employee but he should have stuck it out a bit longer. Rather than seeing the value in the individual as they are proving themselves.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1