Equipment for training

todd022

I am new student enrolled full time in rotary flight training. I will make a career out of this after the next year of training. The course starts in R22/44s, then progresses to turbine time with a Bell 206. A headset is recommended. Am I insane to be looking at helmets? Is this overkill in the training environment? Also....what gives with the Government Sales ACE XP helmet? Looks great, price is reasonable, yet not mention of it anywhere on the internet really. Skeptical, so I am leaning toward the Gentex HGU-84. 

A helmet is the smartest thing you can buy in this industry. Get it and always wear it! It is a major expense. You'll see 90% of pilots wear MSA Gallet the other 10% wear Gentex SPH-4/5. That is only because for a long time they were the easiest to get here in Canada. Personally I like the HGU-84. It is a very light but strong low profile helmet. The few guys I've seen wearing them love them for long line work.

Check out Gibson and Barnes for the HGU-84. Another nice product (seems based off Gallet) are the EVO helmets.

I know of a crash which occurred during initial training where the student now has permanent brain damage from flipping a machine. A helmet may have saved his grape, food for thought.

On an unrelated note pick yourself up an ASA CX-3 digital flight computer if you can afford it. It isn't required and you can get along without it. But it will make your life exponentially easier in ground school, flight planning and during the examinations.

• Like 1

I had a gentex for years, got it while I was in flight school was a great helmet to start out with. Now I have an Evo252 and won’t ever go back to anything else. Light and comfortable. Would definitely recommend. My opinion, but I would say shop around try some on if u can.

If ever you need a helmet, flight training is likely the best time to have it. 

I have and like the Gallet 150, but Gentex have a good reputation too. Don't cheap out, try to imagine it on your head all day long in 30 degrees (+) long lining all day long, because thats what you likely eventually be doing.

Yes, get a helmet. But consider this....if you go all out and get a decent gallet it’s over 2000.00.   That’s a lot of money (possibly debt) to pack around considering that there is a really good chance you won’t use it for a few years after training.   Bad things happen and you may have to sell for a loss.  

It’s not a requirement for ground crew jobs that I know of, and as long as you have the ability to get one, it won’t be a roadblock.  

Just keep pounding the internet and look around for something as cheap as possible (sph-5?) just to get through and you should probably be able to sell it back to another student  at even money.  

Get the good one once that first PPC is passed.  Plus you’ll know what’s important to you in a helmet after wearing the old one.  

• Like 1