Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Noise Cancelling Ear Buds

Norm

I have discovered after long days bucketing in the medium my ears are suffering. CEP custom molds are as expensive as a decent pair of in ear noise cancelling buds. Is anyone wearing something under their headset or helmet with success? I am looking at bose, sony, Jabra ($200 range). Thanks

I have a pair of Bose quiet comfort ear buds that are great on planes etc. I don't see there being enough room inside the ear cup to comfortably accommodate them, what would you plug them in to? They'd try to cancel out the Coms, and you'd have an extra cable dangling from your head. Mine are also susceptible to nasty feedback when touched in certain ways and I could see them rubbing inside the helmet.

Sorry I can't answer your question, but my gut tells me you'll have a hard time finding a consumer option to fit the bill. I'd love to be proven wrong though!

The custom fitted CEPs are worth it.  They take some getting used to initially but I've got thousands of hours on 61s (not so bad) and Super Pumas (high pitched whine) with them in a Alpha Eagle helmet, also have used them in a pair of David Clarks.  Never replaced them, still in good shape.  Worth the investment in a noisy aircraft.  Luckily I'm on AW139s now and noise cancelling Bose (supplied) work great.  They sucked in the Pumas with the windows open.

My engineer this tour has Costco ear plugs. He says they are great! I've noticed some manufacturers of custom molds offer different types of noise protection. If Costco does the same I am going to order up a set that will let a little noise in. They should be perfect under my helmet. I'll just turn up the com box a tad.

You can also get "high fidelity" ear plugs, which are non-custom moulded earplugs intended for concert goers, musicians, etc. They are supposed to lower the decibels without distorting sound. They seem to run $30+ for a pair.

I ordered 2 pairs off Massdrop which should be waiting for me at home... I can update on how they perform.

I am an engineer and got a set of custom plugs made at a local hearing testing place for about $100. Totally worth it. I put them on under my peltors. The only problem I have with them is you have to lube em up as they are a tad dry sometimes. When I had them made you get to choose different noise cancelling levels (they drill tiny holes in them I think if you don't want max protection) and you can choose your colour and your restraint style (tied together on a string, little handles on each, etc etc).

• Like 2