trytrytry

Best helicopter school in Canada right now ?

1 hour ago, DGP said:

I read somewhere ...may have been on this site that very few grades from heli schools ever get a job flying helicopters and then most don't keep it up after only a few years in the business.Hardly what you would drop a large amount of money on.Back in the day I was told that there was a big shortage of helicopter pilots and finding a job would be a breeze...we all know the answer to that one.Hasn't changed a bit...my 2 cents.

The answer hasn't change just like the pay, tours, treatment... 

• Like 1

Although I had a great time flying helicopters, met a lot of great people, and saw a lot of places that I would not have normally seen, I sure wish somebody would have slapped me upside my head and convinced me to go into fixed wing.

Fun does not put beans on the table, nor does it look after you in retirement, whereas being in a career where you are wanted, needed, and respected sure sounds like the right ticket to me.

Given the chance for a do over today, I would go fixed wing and never look back, and probably feel a feather caress the back of my neck every time I thought about making a career with helicopters.

I would seriously listen to those of us who have tred this path before you, and consider our advice.

Best of luck with your adventure.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, R0T0R said:

I couldn’t agree more...I would switch in a second but I won’t make the same money.

Maybe not right away but, the lifestyle and wages would increase a lot faster than in the present helicopter industry.

Grey Horizons, I mentioned this to you before. Get off your opioids and the Horizon will brighten and the Lord Said, you will see the light.

18 hours ago, gwk said:

Although I had a great time flying helicopters, met a lot of great people, and saw a lot of places that I would not have normally seen, I sure wish somebody would have slapped me upside my head and convinced me to go into fixed wing.

Fun does not put beans on the table, nor does it look after you in retirement, whereas being in a career where you are wanted, needed, and respected sure sounds like the right ticket to me.

Given the chance for a do over today, I would go fixed wing and never look back, and probably feel a feather caress the back of my neck every time I thought about making a career with helicopters.

I would seriously listen to those of us who have tried this path before you, and consider our advice.

Best of luck with your adventure.

Cheers, Don

I've been a helicopter pilot for 14 yrs.  I had a slow start and thought many times that I'll never make it in the industry.  Finally caught a break, got my foot in the door and held on.  Started a family with kids which made things tight at 135hrs, but held on.  I'm finally sitting comfortable at around 4000hrs at a reputable company adding allot to my resume.  I'm actually still paying off my loan for my license at this time.

But not once did I ever regret my helicopter license or ever think I should have gone the fixed wing way.  Just never appealed to me to make a career going from airport to airport.  I've said it when I got my license and I still say it to this day, that I didn't get into this for the money.  I just enjoy being out there doing this as a job(career).

I had gone to Great Slaves school back in that day and would have recommended that to anyone,  They had a great experienced pilots that worked in the north during the summer and instructed during the winter.  Their program where they used to hire 4 of their students every season, so it was like a 6 month interview.  Today I would recommend MountainView because I find they have allot to offer, great experienced Instructors and also connections to some companies out there who get low time pilots going.  I've gotten endorsements, PPCs, Mountain training there and would go back for any other additional training.

Trytrytry whatever you decide to do fixed wing or rotary there are pros and cons to both and I would say in the long run they are both satisfying careers. On that note don’t go to a school where the instructor has never worked in the actual industry and posts videos on YouTube about getting into icing and is panicking like a little kid who just lost his parents in the shopping mall.  Or tells people in another video if they put avgas in a turbine the engine will quit and they will die. And my favorite is the one when he goes on a long line job and brings his wife with him to watch the gauges, despite knowing (or possibly not cuz of no real industry experience) that only essential crew are allowed on board while conducting external load operations which means they should have at least a license. Except in some rare cases in certain provinces while on forestry in medium category helicopters a fire boss may be on board but I have never seen this. Long story short go to a school where the instructor has spent some time dealing with clients who are good and some who think they know more than the Pilot cuz they have flown a hundred times. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Toughtimes said:

Trytrytry whatever you decide to do fixed wing or rotary there are pros and cons to both and I would say in the long run they are both satisfying careers. On that note don’t go to a school where the instructor has never worked in the actual industry and posts videos on YouTube about getting into icing and is panicking like a little kid who just lost his parents in the shopping mall.  Or tells people in another video if they put avgas in a turbine the engine will quit and they will die. And my favorite is the one when he goes on a long line job and brings his wife with him to watch the gauges, despite knowing (or possibly not cuz of no real industry experience) that only essential crew are allowed on board while conducting external load operations which means they should have at least a license. Except in some rare cases in certain provinces while on forestry in medium category helicopters a fire boss may be on board but I have never seen this. Long story short go to a school where the instructor has spent some time dealing with clients who are good and some who think they know more than the Pilot cuz they have flown a hundred times. 

Hahahaha I find it interesting how instructors with no industry experience can give students with no understanding of this industry advise on it.  How can an instructor tell a student what an average day for a Pilot is who is on fires when he’s never been in one himself, Or what it’s like to be in a logging camp flying fallers or engineers, or just what a normal 3 week tour is like.  I would agree and say go to a school where the instructors are active or have been active industry pilots. Not just 8000 hours of flying circuits and same pad approach’s and making YouTube videos.     

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Find a school that charges skids up skids down time not running time because when you are learning all your checklists etc or waiting for the oil up to warm or listing to your instructor talk or clearance from the tower you are paying full rate and somehow logging that time at most schools. If find a school that changes flight time as per CARS you will actually probably fly another 10 hrs in your 100hr licence. I would also say don't get your licence if you don't have cash in hand for it. The wages you will make in the first five years will only barely keep you fed so making large payments on anything will not be possible. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you can find a school that does that yes for sure you should go there, but as we found out recently no schools do this, see airtime flight time thread and HAC newsletter. At some point this may happen but the rates charged by the school will reflect that. Experience of instructors is huge, aircraft used for training, and ask if you will do any full on autos....it seems less and less do them, which is frightening for the industry as a whole. What "extra" training will you get inside the 100 hours. By extra I mean something other than the flight test minimums. Will you sling/longline or is that beyond the 100 hour course?

On 10/10/2018 at 12:36 PM, Islandr said:

Find a school that charges skids up skids down time not running time because when you are learning all your checklists etc or waiting for the oil up to warm or listing to your instructor talk or clearance from the tower you are paying full rate and somehow logging that time at most schools. If find a school that changes flight time as per CARS you will actually probably fly another 10 hrs in your 100hr licence. I would also say don't get your licence if you don't have cash in hand for it. The wages you will make in the first five years will only barely keep you fed so making large payments on anything will not be possible. 

Thanks the advice on flight time. I was able to understand clearance from tower, instructor talk, oil warm up time,checklist check.

But -''charges skids up skids down time not running time'' - Can you please expain that for a newbie .

Regarding licence application - whats the cost ?