New Helmet for Old Head

I have an old helmet, Alpha, it's in rough shape, time for a new one. 

Is it really ok to have bluetooth and wireless and ANR etc without losing something in the way of flying? 

My old bucket has CEP's and mine all look like they've been shot out of a gun, I have read that ANR produces hearing loss, but with the use of CEP's it makes a comfortable and safe bucket. 

Any recommendations for price or product? Google doesn't cut it....

I don't personally believe that anr is a good option. I want to hear everything, and all anr does is send out a frequency that cancels the other ones so fatigue wise you are solid. But now you don't know when you are experiencing a dangerous db.

I run the northwall helmet with Costco custom earplugs. Works awesome.

Northwall was a big chance as it was so new, but worked out great. Light, small footprint, dual visor internally.. got it from Skye avionics.

Costco plugs costs 55$

• Like 1

What's the process with getting custom plugs at costco? Did you need to order another cable to use or did the originals with the foam tips work? Sorry not trying to hijack. Call Rob at Merriet, a wealth of info and can help you out with the ANR,  

On 10/15/2018 at 10:04 PM, Bell-powered said:

I don't personally believe that anr is a good option. I want to hear everything, and all anr does is send out a frequency that cancels the other ones so fatigue wise you are solid. But now you don't know when you are experiencing a dangerous db.

I run the northwall helmet with Costco custom earplugs. Works awesome.

Northwall was a big chance as it was so new, but worked out great. Light, small footprint, dual visor internally.. got it from Skye avionics.

Costco plugs costs 55$

Agree with the Northwall. Had them all before but Northwall by far the best! 

• 1 month later...
49 minutes ago, wcobra said:

So far as I know the Costco's in Alberta no longer do the custom earplugs 😞

This is confirmed.  Seems like Costco Canada doesn't do it anymore.  

That said, most hearing clinics do it for cheap (less than a $100).  I had Oto's made up with the CEP inserts recently in Calgary and they were ready within a week. 

If you can get access to a Bose or light speed headset with ANR you could try before you buy. After 22 years in an SPH5 I recently upgraded to an “Aspida” ( made by Paraclete USA) carbon fibre with light speed Zulu installed, absolutely love it! Very light. I’ve heard stories of buffeting when longlining with the door off but I haven’t experienced that, works fine for me. 

• Like 1