Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

The job field

On 10/21/2018 at 5:42 AM, GrayHorizons said:

what I always get from these posts, and its what keeps drawing me in to read the comments, is that there seems to be more protectionism of the available jobs more than anything.

anyone new, sniffing around for tips, tricks and whatever to get their foot in the door or whatever, is always met with a go away attitude. 

Dont be afraid guys, if youre good at what you do, they wont take your job away from you.

No protectionism on my end. I love aviation but I wish I could do it all over again with the knowledge I have. This job is incredibly fun and I’ve seen some amazing things and got to see a few countries along the way so far but I’m missing lots of things at home. 

My my kids don’t care that I’m a pilot, they want their dad. I’m limited in where I can go because I need to keep making the same money. 

I genuinly don’t advise doing this job to newcomers but if they elect to, I encourage them to have a high paying alternative. If my son or daughter want to do it I will encourage them if they have a good job to fall back on first. 

I still ill say go fixed wing. Put in the time just like you have to do here then you get good benefits, higher pay than a senior pilot here and you don’t have to be gone 75% of the year to make it. 

I dont have have to protect my job, I’m in high enough demand that I can put my own concerns aside and tell the truth. 

• Like 3

On 10/20/2018 at 8:21 PM, gwk said:

Too much single malt, this should have been separated from 2007's quote.

Multiple's of six figures are been pretty common here, maybe your working the wrong street corner.

The highest paid Air Canada captains probably make around $300K, top logging in the day 200K and a 61 in the sandbox made around 230K.

You consistently make 500-600K, been in aviation for close to 40 years and have never heard of any helicopter pilot making figures anywhere near that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You can't tell some people what they don't want to hear.This business knows there will always be someone willing to pay big bucks for just the off chance that they will be the one guy that makes it. You can't explain to these types that you won't be working 9-5 and going home every night to see the wife and kids.Schools will keep telling these folks that there is always a shortage of pilots...been doing this as long as I have been around.Though I will say I was told that I would never get a job in the business...hair was too long.None left now.They seem to think fixwing is too boring which it probably is...go sit in a tent in the bush for a month and see how bored you get.And then we all know the old AIDS syndrome...let someone at the schools explain that one.

• Like 2

On 10/22/2018 at 9:03 AM, DGP said:

You can't tell some people what they don't want to hear.This business knows there will always be someone willing to pay big bucks for just the off chance that they will be the one guy that makes it. You can't explain to these types that you won't be working 9-5 and going home every night to see the wife and kids.Schools will keep telling these folks that there is always a shortage of pilots...been doing this as long as I have been around.Though I will say I was told that I would never get a job in the business...hair was too long.None left now.They seem to think fixwing is too boring which it probably is...go sit in a tent in the bush for a month and see how bored you get.And then we all know the old AIDS syndrome...let someone at the schools explain that one.

Yup! I got AIDS from Helirico in a tent! Let someone who thought they knew french explain that one to you.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/21/2018 at 4:39 AM, 2007 said:

As per your original question, I do not know Cathy personally but know that she has been in the business a long time and runs a very reputable business.

I have been fly for over 30 years and closing in on 20,000 hours.  In a heart-beat I would go back and do it all over again - it has been a great career which I feel very honored to be a part of.

Still learning....still loving every time I hit the starter button.  

The business is full of crooks and whores but also there are a lot of outstanding people who put a big smile on my face.

A lot of negative people on this forum - glad I don't work with them!

As for remuneration, a little over 600k last year - which is on the high side - but a 6 digit salary is certainly not uncommon of for quality person.

600k? Wow. What flying do you do?

Interested to know thats good money.

• Haha 1