Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

The job field

What are the reasons for the industry being in the toilet as well? the rise of drones? Lack of industry demand? Over-supply of pilots? (I thought there were a large number of retirements occurring...at least in the US that seems to be the case). Too expensive for companies to operate?

I've met pilots that are certified genius's with degrees up the wazoo and others with very little previous adult life experience before they started flying. The successful ones all have the same thing in common. They were willing to start at the bottom and work their butts off. True some lowly operators are known to take advantage.

I agree with Bif that most of these responses are overly snarky. But for the most part there is a degree of honesty. The reason they are giving you a hard time is frankly there are no easy sidesteps to the top. But who knows, maybe you'll be that 1 in a million 100hr super pilot that moves drill like a rock star in 1/8 mile vis. All while flying with your knees because you are texting an accountant about all the money you are making.  Then back to your penthouse in Rankin Inlet where you drink whiskey from a cowboy boot in a hot tub filled with hot blonde strippers every night. Oh wait that's my life ;)

I had a 100hr pilot friend whom was working for another company tell me one time. Quote, "I can't wait until I'm high time, I am so tired of scrubbing the toilets". I laughed and told him stories of my 14 yrs flying. Then I told him what I did that day, I swept the hangar floor and I scrubbed toilets all afternoon at my base. Grunt work is a fact in this industry.

The military offers a style of flying and environment you may like. It's worth checking into.

• Like 2

Pilots sweeping floors, cutting grass, and scrubbing toilets!?  ****, no job flying is worth that crap. 

I drive a semi for Fedex and even we have a maid who comes in every day!

Yeah, keep your day job kid, and just rent an R22 and fly for fun on weekends, been doing that for fifteen years now.

Commercial aviation sucks balls dude, don't waste your time and money!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ramen rider said:

Pilots sweeping floors, cutting grass, and scrubbing toilets!?  ****, no job flying is worth that crap. 

I drive a semi for Fedex and even we have a maid who comes in every day!

Yeah, keep your day job kid, and just rent an R22 and fly for fun on weekends, been doing that for fifteen years now.

Commercial aviation sucks balls dude, don't waste your time and money!

Where in Canada are you renting? As far as I know your only options are paying $600/hour at a flying school or paying someone who owns a machine privately to take out their toy. I know you used to be able to go stateside and pay Hobbs without mins

3 minutes ago, HeliRico said:

Nothing homophobic.. Forced f..cking is just not right .

i have seen too much low timer coming back from camps not even abble to sit..

i dare to aks, are you a high time dude ?

Where do you make this stuff up from!? It's beyond weird, you're essentially suggesting that it is a prison atmosphere