Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

The job field

31 minutes ago, daws901 said:

This was very insightful. Appreciate it. What motivated you to get into it? And how did you begin?

I've always thought of doing it but the cost wall is something I've been a bit wary of. I could pay all of it upfront (there's been absolutely no one to suggest that is a good idea). I did meet a couple of float plane pilots which looks good as well, but helicopters due to their versatility have always been more appealing. I haven't ever lived in a location where training to become a pilot would have made sense. Large commercial planes don't appeal to me, you wouldn't do anything on those planes and you're so high up there's nothing interesting to look at. You're a glorified taxi.

I hated what I was doing (Tradesman) Thought the same way you did. (Looks awesome) Met a guy who flew helicopters(Not in a tent with HeliRico) and thought this looks cool. Paid the lady and got the licence.(Not in an economic downturn). Met an owner that was building stuff and got used for my skills as a tradesman. (He got his 14 hrs a day at $2800 a month salary 28 and 14 you do the math accounting guy) Bif aint lying you are travelling on your own time.(and at 100 hrs on your own dime)  We are all taxi drivers (Unless you get on a K-Max) On the plus side you will never have a worse meal in your life than on forestry (Anywhere)

I thought I'd answer Bifs part after finding out that question wasn't directed at me. Also you won't ever regret learning how to fly a helicopter just know that there is a better chance than not you will ever do it for a living. Take the advice or leave it. 

• Like 1

This topic has been kicked around here so many times...go in and look around under search. You say you are 28...getting kind of old to want to spent a month in a tent in the middle of butt  f#$% no where. How ever... this industry wants 25-30 single types that have 2k-3k hrs and love the smell of canvas. The longer you are in the less respect you can count on and the less you are wanted.The reason....why do I want to pay a guy with tons of hrs and experience x amount when I can get a guy with 2k+ and pay him y amount. I will not bother saying how long I have been doing this or how many hrs I have...look it up on here. You're the accountant...do the math.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As per your original question, I do not know Cathy personally but know that she has been in the business a long time and runs a very reputable business.

I have been fly for over 30 years and closing in on 20,000 hours.  In a heart-beat I would go back and do it all over again - it has been a great career which I feel very honored to be a part of.

Still learning....still loving every time I hit the starter button.  

The business is full of crooks and whores but also there are a lot of outstanding people who put a big smile on my face.

A lot of negative people on this forum - glad I don't work with them!

As for remuneration, a little over 600k last year - which is on the high side - but a 6 digit salary is certainly not uncommon of for quality person.

20 hours ago, Twin Helix said:

Where in Canada are you renting? As far as I know your only options are paying $600/hour at a flying school or paying someone who owns a machine privately to take out their toy. I know you used to be able to go stateside and pay Hobbs without mins

I'm in the States. $600/hr ****!  That'd get me almost two and a half hours in the 22 at the school I'm renting from.

You guys cleaning toilets is just amazing to me.  **** I didn't even have to do that at my first job as a busboy back when I was sixteen!

What, no janitors in Canada?

4 hours ago, 2007 said:

As per your original question, I do not know Cathy personally but know that she has been in the business a long time and runs a very reputable business.

I have been fly for over 30 years and closing in on 20,000 hours.  In a heart-beat I would go back and do it all over again - it has been a great career which I feel very honored to be a part of.

Still learning....still loving every time I hit the starter button.  

The business is full of crooks and whores but also there are a lot of outstanding people who put a big smile on my face.

A lot of negative people on this forum - glad I don't work with them!

As for remuneration, a little over 600k last year - which is on the high side - but a 6 digit salary is certainly not uncommon of for quality person.

You made $600,000 as a line pilot?

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1