Headsets - private pilot

DAW

Newbie here, go easy on me.

For a private pilot flying pistons, is it a bad idea to have noise cancelling headsets? Never used them but just thinking maybe because it blocks out the engine noise which you might want to hear in the event of failure or something.

I spent 20 years flying piston & turbine helicopters with a standard helmet & recently upgraded to a helmet with Lightspeed ANR - Absolutely love it. Do your ears a favour & get the best you can afford, lightspeed & Bose are 2 that I've tried & they're great. I've read lots of different opinions about being able to hear background noises but I have never had an issue. Regardless if you fly an A380, space shuttle or a Cessna everyone's ears are different, but overall these products seem to work for the majority as they are very popular around the world.  

I have a Zulu and I love it, but I waited about seven years to get it.  During training I was lucky, the school provided headsets at no charge, so I didn't have to buy one until after becoming a pilot.  I went with a passive DC, no regrets, in fact I still use it sometimes for BFR's.

The only issue I noticed in training with ANR was that in a dual cockpit if one guy has ANR and the other passive, then you'll be playing volume wars, so if your instructor has a passive headset, then stick with passive yourself.

Whatever you chose, wear earplugs underneath.  Over time your ears will thank you.