Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Is M1/M2 license classified solely on the MTOW of the aircraft?

taknev

I'm a student at SAIT looking forward to obtain my Canadian AME; However, I have a doubt:

Once I graduate, the first 12 months of my apprenticeship should be on small aircraft - should this be on turboprop/turboshaft aircrafts that have a MTOW of 5670kg or less. For example (Cessna 208) if I want to work on larger civilian category aircraft (ex. B737) or can the first 12 months be on any aircraft with an MTOW of 5670kg or less regardless of the type of propulsion?

When you graduate you can work wherever, for whomever, on whatever you want.

As you start filling in your logbook that is what decides what license you end up with. Example 1: You get hired out of school and go to work for Westjet. You will end up with an M2. Example 2: You leave school and go to work for Billy Bob's flight school and his impressive fleet of Cessna 150s. You fill out your logbook as you go and you end up with an M1. Example 3: You leave school and go work for a helicopter company that has both Jetrangers and S61s. You buy two logbooks, fill them both out as you go. Jetranger stuff in one, S61 in the other. Then when you write the test you end up with M1 AND M2.

So basically there is no rules. Graduate and go work where you want to. Big planes, small planes, big helicopters, or small helicopters. It's all up to you.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, nozzle said:

For helicopter you can obtain either m1 or M2 for any turbine power helicopter. 

M1 or Normal Category Rotorcraft are 7000lbs or less or 8-9 seat or less.

M2 or Transport Category Rotorcraft are above these limits.

You cannot obtain an M2 license by working on Normal Cat Rotorcraft, regardless of turbine or not.

I think you might be confusing it with the fact that either an M1 or M2 licensed engineer can obtain signing authority for turbine powered helicopters.  However, type courses are required for turbine powered helicopters.

2 hours ago, ray said:

Not correct. Former coworker got an M2 working on AS350s. M2 for turbine powered helicopter 

Interesting, I'd like to know which office. I have an M1 and signing authority on M2 helicopters but I was told that I had to fill another book with tasks on the M2 to get the M2 rating.  I signed the tasks for myself as I was the one releasing it. 🙃  

CARs is your best place to find out what type of Licence you can apply for based on your experience.  You can have ten log books as long as all your experience is documented this is what matters.  If you have enough tasks for M2 you can get an M2 and if you complete the appropriate amount for M1 you can apply for this as well.    

20 hours ago, ray said:

Not correct. Former coworker got an M2 working on AS350s. M2 for turbine powered helicopter 

Ya that seems all sorts of strange. It would be interesting to know what office reviewed for the licence as my inspector laid it out for me the way others have suggested. If you do your apprenticeship on an Normal Cat Heli then you get an M1. At least that is what I thought...

6 hours ago, johnson4 said:

What is defined as Normal or Transport varies with the inspector

From CARS 527

(a) This Chapter sets out airworthiness standards for the issue of type certificates and changes to those type certificates, for normal category rotorcraft with maximum mass (weights) of 3,175 kg (7,000 lbs.) or less and nine or less passenger seats.
(amended 2009/12/01)

Anything above this is Transport Category.  This does not vary by inspector.