Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

PPL vs CPL

DAW

Adding on a CPL after the PPL is going to cost you more in the end. you need additional hours on top of the original minimum.

So if you did PPL at minimum hours of 45, the CPL add-on is another 60, that is a minimum of 105 hours. you say 15 hours now, closer to 20 for solo, you will be closer to 60 hours total for your ride minimum, now you are up to 120 hours. the Tax credit is only on the part of the training that goes towards a CPL, so you lose out on anything used towards the PPL.

for a Commercial License from scratch you need 100 hours, all can be credited, and your current training is covered. if they tell you otherwise they are lying. the basic training until past the navigation portion is the same, it is after the Nav things get more convoluted.

The ground school portion is 80 hours in stead of 40 and goes deeper (not close to being deep) into air law, met and nav. the aerodnamics are the same, although as a commercial pilot working you will see a lot more of the situations discussed...

So if the tax credit is important, go straight for CPL from where you are, if savings is important a straight CPL is better than PPL then CPL, but a PPL only is cheaper. you WILL see reduced insurance rates with a CPL, and if you go to a Robinson Safety Course you will get additional benefits.

Regards

Harald, Former instructor.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, DAW said:

Also, this is largely for personal use (not through  company), so would be deductions, not credits. 

How do you plan to deduct a non-business expense like flight training from your income? The Income Tax Act doesn't allow it. Like I said above, I think you're confusing tax credits with tax deductions. Federally, the differences can be huge (like 2x different depending on your marginal tax rate)

4 hours ago, xrkyle said:

How do you plan to deduct a non-business expense like flight training from your income? The Income Tax Act doesn't allow it. Like I said above, I think you're confusing tax credits with tax deductions. Federally, the differences can be huge (like 2x different depending on your marginal tax rate)

Without getting into too much detail, I work in the aviation industry and will probably also use it to commute for work. My family is also in the aviation business. I'll be able to figure it out.

Just a thought. But if you and your family are in the avaiation business already. 

Your answer should only be a phone call away. Whoever is or going to be providing your insurance. Should certainly be able to answer the cpl vs ppl insurance rate question.

from there, the rest is up to you and how deep your pockets are.

best of luck whichever route you choose.