Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

CRM

AMPM

As per the circular you have to have the course approved and implemented by January 31, 2019. The pending CASS come into effect at the same time they are implemented, which shows a considerable lack of foresight by TC. I asked my POI if Ottawa is **** bent on putting most of the helicopter industry in a non-compliant state by Feb 01. I also asked for confirmation on the implementation date, and I was told in a later conversation that Ottawa was not budging on the date.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/regserv/cars/list-amendments-standards-not-yet-force.html#720.01

So I contracted a CRM professional who designed a company specific course. We have implemented this through 1/2 our crew now and will have the other half completed by mid December.

For a smaller operator, who can get all employees (pilots, AMEs, ground crew, ramp personnel, flight followers, managers) to a single location for the classroom portion of the course (mandatory) I would suggest creating your own. Use the circular and the internet, and company specific case studies.

7 minutes ago, hired-gun12 said:

I asked my POI if Ottawa is **** bent on putting most of the helicopter industry in a non-compliant state by Feb 01. 

Considering that’s been the case for many years already, they’re not likely overly concerned.

is your POI counting down the days until his retirement (like most of the ones I’ve met)?

On 11/16/2018 at 10:12 AM, hired-gun12 said:

As per the circular you have to have the course approved and implemented by January 31, 2019. The pending CASS come into effect at the same time they are implemented, which shows a considerable lack of foresight by TC. I asked my POI if Ottawa is **** bent on putting most of the helicopter industry in a non-compliant state by Feb 01. I also asked for confirmation on the implementation date, and I was told in a later conversation that Ottawa was not budging on the date.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/regserv/cars/list-amendments-standards-not-yet-force.html#720.01

So I contracted a CRM professional who designed a company specific course. We have implemented this through 1/2 our crew now and will have the other half completed by mid December.

For a smaller operator, who can get all employees (pilots, AMEs, ground crew, ramp personnel, flight followers, managers) to a single location for the classroom portion of the course (mandatory) I would suggest creating your own. Use the circular and the internet, and company specific case studies.

Who is available as a CRM professional?

There is some relief on the horizon:         Keith Green - 1-250-213-5025  k.green@qualatech.ca

Crew Resource Management

Transport Canada Advisory Circular 700-042

CRM COMPLIANCE REQUIREMENTS BY JANUARY 31, 2019:

1)     Company Operations Manual Amendment: CRM training plan - submitted by January 31, 2019.

2)     Application to Primary Operations Inspector (POI):  Approval for CRM training program as applicable to company specific – submitted by January 31, 2019.

3)     Active Pilots: Trained by January 31, 2019.

4)     Non- Active Pilots: Trained before resuming active duty.

Transport Canada (TC) Crew Resource Management (CRM) e-learning course.

Transport Canada is offering a CRM e-learning course with the overarching goal to provide guidance necessary in the validation process of their CRM training program.

TC training objectives are as follows:

1)     TC’s Advisory Circular (AC) 700-042.

2)     CRM training requirements checklist that forms part of AC 700-042.

3)     Non-Technical Skill Elements and its relationship with TP 6533 Approved Check Pilot Manual.

Follow the links provided and to take the time to review the 30 minute CRM e-learning course available in both official languages: http://tc.strategia.ca/client/Courses/MITT/CIV_CRME_EN_external/story_html5.html  

Your Company Compliance Status? 

Need a Solution?

SOLUTION:                                                          

QualaTech Aero Consulting Ltd. has the solution:  providing the operator with a CRM template that meets all the requirements as per TC critical information. 

1)     Inclusive of 90 to 95% of critical information in a usable TRAINING FORMAT.

2)     Requires 5 to 10% input by the individual operator of your company pictures / case studies / discussions etc.  (Approximately 8 to 10 hours of company personnel time).

3)     Promotes intellectual ownership of the CRM document and knowledge with which to inter-act with TC.

4)     Easily integrates to making the correct COM amendment for TC submission.

5)     Professional document for submission to the POI for review and acceptance.

INFORMATION:

Keith Green - 1-250-213-5025
k.green@qualatech.ca

I'm not trying to make the can of worms bigger, but just to clarify... For CRM purposes TC is only considering "crew" members to be those employed by the operator, correct? I only ask because according to their definition of 'crew member' the fire fighters I fly around looking for smoke are crew members, so are the guys doing the line patrol, the fire fighter hooking up the net, etc, etc. To say that all of those mentioned would have to take not only my operators CRM course but every operators CRM course that they fly with is well, you get the point.

Considering that only subpart 703 Air Taxi applies to passenger transport and that there are no 'passengers' on subpart 702 Aerial Work flights; only persons involved in the aerial work are to be on board, then it follows that they too fall under the CRM training requirement.  Yup - a big can of worms...........

5 minutes ago, Icewind said:

Considering that only subpart 703 Air Taxi applies to passenger transport and that there are no 'passengers' on subpart 702 Aerial Work flights; only persons involved in the aerial work are to be on board, then it follows that they too fall under the CRM training requirement.  Yup - a big can of worms...........

Thanks, thats how I was understanding it, I guess I just didn't want to believe it. Typical, a new TC reg, perfectly suited to fixed wing operators.

15 hours ago, ridgeline said:

I'm not trying to make the can of worms bigger, but just to clarify... For CRM purposes TC is only considering "crew" members to be those employed by the operator, correct? I only ask because according to their definition of 'crew member' the fire fighters I fly around looking for smoke are crew members, so are the guys doing the line patrol, the fire fighter hooking up the net, etc, etc. To say that all of those mentioned would have to take not only my operators CRM course but every operators CRM course that they fly with is well, you get the point.

15 hours ago, Icewind said:

Here is a copy paste of the new standard.

"An air operator shall provide Crew Resource Management Training (CRM) to flight crew, flight attendants, dispatchers/flight followers, ground crew and maintenance personnel, as applicable, in accordance with paragraphs (a) and (b) of this subsection."

Notice it never mentions "crew member", it only mentions "flight crew". Very big difference(See CARS Part I Subpart 1). AC 700-042 also mentions that the intent is for persons employed by the operator, so that rules out fire fighters falling under the "ground crew" requirement as well.

Just my opinion...